RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wasteland 2 - Lets Play Videos @ RPS (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22669)

Couchpotato December 13th, 2013 15:23

Wasteland 2 - Lets Play Videos @ RPS
 
Rock Paper Shotgun has a new article with three videos were they play the Wasteland 2 beta. Here are the video links: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

Quote:

Wasteland 2′s beta is officially go! Well, for backers anyway. I booted it up the second Steam finished prying it from some server’s synthetic grip, and I realized something: I was nervous. My expectations were riding extremely high, and I couldn’t help but fear that inXile’s return to post-apocalyptic role-playing’s roots would let me down. What I’d seen up to that point had my head ready to explode like a gerbil full of uncooked rice (and also a blood sausage), but maybe it wouldn’t all come together. Maybe it was pure promise and no execution. All bark, zero bite.

I was worried over nothing. Wasteland 2′s irradiated peaks and valleys are pretty rad so far. I have some minor quibbles (the interface is awkward, enemy AI can be really dumb, some bugs and glitches), but there’s quite a lot to like here. Watch me play through a few early sections below. Oh, and fair warning: slight spoilers ahead. Nothing too major, though.

More information.

ChaosTheory December 13th, 2013 15:23

Cannot WAIT to play this…

tomasp3n December 13th, 2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory (Post 1061230414)
Cannot WAIT to play this…

I can, but only because I don't want to spoil the experience by playing the beta…but God does it itch.

JDR13 December 13th, 2013 20:51

They have the early access available on Steam now, but it's $60!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24…featured_app=1

SpoonFULL December 13th, 2013 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061230466)
They have the early access available on Steam now, but it's $60!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24…featured_app=1

Its £29.99 here in the UK, so it might be an error.

The minimum requirements seem high to me for an isometric game. Moreover, it requires 20GB of hard drive space! Why?

CraigCWB December 14th, 2013 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoonFULL (Post 1061230475)
Its £29.99 here in the UK, so it might be an error.

The minimum requirements seem high to me for an isometric game. Moreover, it requires 20GB of hard drive space! Why?

Prolly cuz it's old school. They want to get that "you need TWO floppy drives to play this game" vibe going. Maybe?

Badesumofu December 14th, 2013 05:59

I expect the reason why it's so big and has high requirements is that it is an early beta. My download of it is 4 GB, it will use about 9 GB of space when downloaded. Looking forward to playing it once it is downloaded. I totally forgot that my tier gives me beta access!

ChienAboyeur December 14th, 2013 06:54

Videos are showing so much tactics involved, proving once again the superiority of the "ugoigo" turn sequence over any other way to implement tactics. Charge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoonFULL (Post 1061230475)

The minimum requirements seem high to me for an isometric game. Moreover, it requires 20GB of hard drive space! Why?

It is not isometric. Few people will waste time making an isometric game when the productivity on a 3D engine is so higher.

zahratustra December 14th, 2013 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur (Post 1061230525)
Videos are showing so much tactics involved, proving once again the superiority of the "ugoigo" turn sequence over any other way to implement tactics. Charge!

And this level of tactics is, supposedly, just impossible to achieve in RTwP?

vurt December 14th, 2013 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur (Post 1061230525)
It is not isometric. Few people will waste time making an isometric game when the productivity on a 3D engine is so higher.

The engine has nothing to do with the perspective, it's an isometric game, but yes it's not a 2D game.

ChienAboyeur December 14th, 2013 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahratustra (Post 1061230536)
And this level of tactics is, supposedly, just impossible to achieve in RTwP?

It requires to watch the vids and assess the level of tactics exhibited pour answer to that question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurt (Post 1061230538)
The engine has nothing to do with the perspective, it's an isometric game, but yes it's not a 2D game.

The angle of view is the one used when it is isometric. Still does not make it an isometric game.

tomasp3n December 14th, 2013 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurt (Post 1061230538)
The engine has nothing to do with the perspective, it's an isometric game, but yes it's not a 2D game.

It isn't an isometric game, it's 3D. In isometric you don't get any sense of distance (look at Eschalon for example, that's isometric). Not that it really matters, the use of the word in games today pretty much means "like Baldurs Gate and Fallout!", and that's perfectly good to me.

rossrjensen December 14th, 2013 16:55

Seems pretty isometric to me…

CraigCWB December 14th, 2013 16:58

I'm really not looking to get into another semantic argument, but I vastly prefer the old terms of top-down and first-person (later with over-the-shoulder added to first person). They're more accurate when it comes to describing the user interface perspective.

vurt December 14th, 2013 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur (Post 1061230554)
The angle of view is the one used when it is isometric. Still does not make it an isometric game.

It would be pretty dumb to only use the word isometric to describe 2D isometric games. Only describing Wasteland 2 as "a 3D RPG" is far less descriptive than saying it's an Isometric 3D RPG (which it is), you directly understand that it shares the same view as FO1-2, Wasteland 1 etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomasp3n (Post 1061230573)
It isn't an isometric game, it's 3D. In isometric you don't get any sense of distance

Complete nonsense. That will only depend on the artist(s) skills of creating the proper depth. I can clearly see depth and distance in BG or even in lower res games such as FO1-2 or Arcanum.

zahratustra December 14th, 2013 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur (Post 1061230554)
It requires to watch the vids and assess the level of tactics exhibited pour answer to that question.

You are into zen kōans or something was lost in a translation?

ChienAboyeur December 15th, 2013 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahratustra (Post 1061230611)
You are into zen kōans or something was lost in a translation?

Nothing is lost in translation because there is no translation.

All it takes is to watch the vids and see the level of tactics involved in the gameplay. Then the question is answered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurt (Post 1061230608)
It would be pretty dumb to only use the word isometric to describe 2D isometric games. Only describing Wasteland 2 as "a 3D RPG" is far less descriptive than saying it's an Isometric 3D RPG (which it is), you directly understand that it shares the same view as FO1-2, Wasteland 1 etc.


Complete nonsense. That will only depend on the artist(s) skills of creating the proper depth. I can clearly see depth and distance in BG or even in lower res games such as FO1-2 or Arcanum.

So anytime, in a movie, a scene is shot with a similar angle, it makes this movie scene isometric. If enough of the movie is shot with that angle, it makes it an isometric movie.
People have proven so far their willingness to use words to cover other meanings. But using the word isometric does not make this game an isometric game.
And I would find it extremelly hard to believe that, considering the size of industry movie in the US, there is no word in the english language to refer to that cam angle.

zahratustra December 15th, 2013 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur (Post 1061230658)
All it takes is to watch the vids and see the level of tactics involved in the gameplay. Then the question is answered.

Yeah, and the answer is: nothing earth-shatteringly awesome that would have been impossible with RTwP.

Disclaimer - I don't mind TBwT, I just don't think that it has some unique advantages over RTwP.

ChienAboyeur December 16th, 2013 07:42

If that is the made observation, it simply means that contrary to claims made on this site for example, the turn based sequence named "ugoigo" does not mean tactics.
It is as simple as that.

As not being earthshaking, well, it still includes the "ugoigo" turn sequence special: the character that is unable to hit at point blank range. Even though to be complete, this thing is more a computer thing than a "ugoIgo" thing.
It still remains that the laudated platform for tactics produces sequences of games when tactics is not involved.

Lets keep the tradition: just like a RPG is a game that is about everything but role playing, a tactical game should be a game that does not include the use of tactics.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch