RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   KoA: Reckoning - 70% Off on Steam (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24090)

Couchpotato April 20th, 2014 17:58

KoA: Reckoning - 70% Off on Steam

Steam is once again selling Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for 70% off. You can choose either the standard version, or the collectors edition with all the DLC.

The sale is good for another 35 hours. Thanks Dr. A for reminding me.

Quote:

The minds of New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lead designer Ken Rolston have combined to create Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, a new role-playing game set in a world worth saving. Build the character you've always wanted and continuously evolve it to your style of play with the revolutionary Destiny system. Choose your path and battle through a master-crafted universe featuring some of the most intense, responsive, and customizable RPG combat ever.

More information.

Crilloan April 20th, 2014 17:58

Im on the fence about it.

Is it possible to have a good experience on PC or do you need to buy a gamepad/controller.

C

Dr. A April 20th, 2014 18:07

Both are viable options. I played with keyboard and mouse and it worked out fine.

NFLed April 20th, 2014 18:45

I played this for the first time recently, after a previous Steam sale, and enjoyed it for several dozen hours though I didn't finish it.

sakichop April 20th, 2014 19:03

I only m&k and it plays fine that way. Not a terrible game but not bad either.

TheMadGamer April 20th, 2014 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFLed (Post 1061250073)
I played this for the first time recently, after a previous Steam sale, and enjoyed it for several dozen hours though I didn't finish it.

This was the same for me too but the quests became a little repetitive and boring given the huge scope of the game. Just not enough variation to keep things interesting. At 70% off though, it's worth getting even if you don't finish the game.

Also, there's a patch on the net that let's you widen your field of view. Very handy patch and I played KoA more than I would have because of the better point of view the patch offered.

Crilloan April 21st, 2014 01:27

caved in, bought it. played first hours.
curious about the story, rather cartoony graphic.

gameplay, I press left mousebutton and space +a,d,x
repeat

still, want to see more of the world

finesse or brawler?

hm

C

joxer April 21st, 2014 01:48

I didn't play it but bought it for some small cash on Origin.
Still waiting for that norespawn mod…

If you need a pretty good vid review, AngryJoe has one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C43RMBx9wQ
He likes the game.

SonOfCapiz April 21st, 2014 03:02

m&k works fine. Anyway, it's so easy that button mashing is enough to guarantee a win, specially if you go for the chakras, in my experience. PLayed with 2 characters though I only finished with one and I ended up rushing through it because it got repetitive and because actually doing side quests levels makes the game even less of a challenge by making you a higher level than the mobs in the main quest

NFLed April 21st, 2014 04:43

Before I played the game I read many people comment about how repetitive it is. I felt that there was enough variety and it really kept my interest until at some point it did become repetitive and I lost steam. However, that happened at around the 50 hour mark for me and that's a good amount of play in my view.

In retrospect I should have bypassed many of the optional side quests … but I just couldn't help myself!

Fluent April 21st, 2014 05:01

I played Reckoning for 200+ hours and didn't even get to the eastern zones. Awesome (and huge) game.

CrazyIrish April 21st, 2014 06:13

I played Reckoning for 5+ hours and didn't even get to the part where I could stomach the game. Don't waste your time.

zahratustra April 21st, 2014 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyIrish (Post 1061250119)
I played Reckoning for 5+ hours and didn't even get to the part where I could stomach the game. Don't waste your time.

Same here. Tried to get into this game about 5 times by now. Failed…

wolfing April 21st, 2014 14:03

Is this game ever not on sale? Feels like it's always on sale. I think I bought it for $5 several months ago but haven't played it yet.

How is the mod community for this game? active or non-existant?

zentr. April 21st, 2014 15:23

Back when the game had just come out I tried the demo. My impression was that it is a single player World of Warcraft with somersaulting action (as opposed to hotbar) combat. I purchased the game the last time it was on sale, just in case I'm in the mood for that sort of game.

JDR13 April 22nd, 2014 04:20

It's not as bad as some people are trying to make it out to be - It's just not very good.

CrazyIrish April 22nd, 2014 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061250184)
It's not as bad as some people are trying to make it out to be - It's just not very good.

JDR is right. If you like mediocre, this game is for you :)