RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24394)

Couchpotato May 25th, 2014 02:17

Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released

InXile entertainment have released the promised Wasteland 2 opening movie from MCM London in a new post-funding update on Kickstarter.

loading…

Quote:

The Opening Movie

Brian was on stage at MCM London earlier today showing the Wasteland 2 opening movie and talking about the game and crowdfunding (you can watch the presentation on Resero Network's twitch through this link).

Of course we'd like all our backers to see this opening movie, so we put it up on Youtube for you. Enjoy!

More information.

danutz_plusplus May 25th, 2014 02:17

It looks so-so imo. The voice actor narrating is bad imo. Other than that, it looks ok. I guess. Personally, I would have rather they used that money for something else.

killias2 May 25th, 2014 02:35

It was fine, but comparing it to Fallout 1's.. well… not even the beginning of a contest.

fatknacker50 May 25th, 2014 02:43

Nothing wrong with the voiceover, he sounded great. It's all taking shape,cant wait for August to come around. :smartass: ( couldn't find the other 2 ;) )

Kostas May 25th, 2014 03:39

Thought the voice over guy was trying too hard to sound gritty, then I saw his face and he looked like a dressed up Angry Joe. Guess it could be a little better.

bjon045 May 25th, 2014 03:42

Kind of 90's FMV intro. Certainly could be better but I understand what they were shooting for. Personally I think an in-game intro would have been sufficient.

Drithius May 25th, 2014 04:11

Looks kinda Nuka-Break'ish… heh. Given the budget, you can't really expect much more… but, yeah, it's pretty low quality. Still looking forward to the game of course!

vurt May 25th, 2014 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostas (Post 1061254493)
Thought the voice over guy was trying too hard to sound gritty, then I saw his face and he looked like a dressed up Angry Joe. Guess it could be a little better.

If you mean the Vargas actor, that's not the voice actor afaik, the dub over looked pretty silly.

It was "ok", but i agree that the voice guy tries way too hard, it almost sounds like he's going for comedy more than something serious (i'm thinking of the Honest game trailers etc, i wonder if its the same guy).

Santos May 25th, 2014 06:49

Still, if it had to be done, better this way, rather than expensive, resource draining CGI.

killias2 May 25th, 2014 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santos (Post 1061254501)
Still, if it had to be done, better this way, rather than expensive, resource draining CGI.

I'd be happier if they just had some still artwork with a decent voice actor narrating over top.

DArtagnan May 25th, 2014 09:32

I would have chosen something simpler, like images with narration and minimal animation. This looks awkward and amateur-hour.

ikbenrichard May 25th, 2014 09:52

I like it. It is raw and gives a feeling of immersion. For me the only thing lacking is indeed the voice over.

ChienAboyeur May 25th, 2014 10:47

Looks good and fitting. Too bad they did not process images to reduce clarity, grain etc… That HD sharp definition goes with a civilization at its peak not after its apocalypse.

Irian May 25th, 2014 10:56

Personally, I also would have preferred something simpler, because this attempt at live-action movie somehow feels "cheap", somehow. Perhaps a version of uncanny valley, don't know (a movie that's aiming to be realistic instead of something purely artificial). Of course it can't compare to any Fallout intro, but imho, Fallout has the more creative setting anyway.

vurt May 25th, 2014 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur (Post 1061254508)
Looks good and fitting. Too bad they did not process images to reduce clarity, grain etc… That HD sharp definition goes with a civilization at its peak not after its apocalypse.

which is kind of silly though, its not like digital equipment would generate noise or less sharpness just because its getting old :P but i get what you're saying. I'm also not familiar with Wasteland lore, is it the same as in Fallout? In that case it would make sense (analog equipment gone bad).

ChienAboyeur May 25th, 2014 11:55

Artistic choice to avoid featuring a civilization past its peak with technological means that belong to their golden age.

The video contains non sensitical material (like the attires) that are only meant to provide atmospheric feeling.

mercy May 25th, 2014 12:56

This game should be on par with Fallout 1, but Wasteland 2 is nearing mediocre with its sub-par graphics and lack of talent.

JDR13 May 25th, 2014 13:25

It was a little on the cheesy side, but I'm pretty sure that was intentional. I thought it was decent.

forgottenlor May 25th, 2014 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 1061254516)
This game should be on par with Fallout 1, but Wasteland 2 is nearing mediocre with its sub-par graphics and lack of talent.

I personally liked the film, though I've got to admit a little film can not make or break a game for me. I don't see how the game should be graphically on par with a game that had well over 10 times its budget (or much more with inflation). Wasteland 2 will live or die with its game play and story.

you May 25th, 2014 15:15

So I read all the comments, expected to be disappointed, and then watch the video; collectively I think are being a bit harsh. I could nic pic at it but overall I think it was appropriate for the game.