RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Witcher - Review @ Eurogamer (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3026)

Dhruin October 26th, 2007 16:18

The Witcher - Review @ Eurogamer

The first major English review for The Witcher is out with Eurogamer awarding 7/10 in a fairly positive two-page article that supplies a critique without really giving much detail into the gameplay. Here's part of the intro:
Quote:

So, by my reckoning, The Witcher is only half an RPG. The role you play is non-negotiable - you're Geralt, a white-haired growly-voiced amnesiac anti-hero. Nor can you choose his profession. It is, after all, rather set in stone by the verb-slaughtering title of the game. He's a witcher, a professional slayer of the supernatural, wandering from town to town ridding the countryside of foul beasts using swords, magic and a little bit of alchemy. You'll be using the same swords for pretty much the whole game (though you can augment them), your armour options are limited and you've got a fairly rigid vengeance-fuelled goal in mind. If you're looking for one of those games where you can craft your own jewel-encrusted golden armour, and spend months tinkering with optional side-quests, then move along. This one isn't for you.
If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer.
More information.

Jaskier October 26th, 2007 16:18

This review is a bit strange to me. First of all, i've got the game like for 2 days and I can't stop playing. They say it's not a real role-play. Bullshit. Role-play does not mean you have to have hords of different characters to play. The hero is one - true, but the rest is up to you. You can be a baddie, you can be noble and save damsels (they can be really grateful for that and pay you back with arms… and legs spread wide open;) You can support elves, humans or these strange knights of the Order.
But yes yes yes!! The world is just amazing. The colors, the water, the humans and nonhumans… they are simply great. I find real pleasure in simply walking and looking around admiring the environment.
Ok, that's enough from me. I'd better get back to the game. I've just met a nice elven woman ;)

doctor_kaz October 26th, 2007 16:25

The review basically says that the game excels at everything that matters and then gives it a fucking 7/10? Because you can't craft jewel-encrusted armor?

MudsAnimalFriend October 26th, 2007 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruin (Post 50766)
two-page article that supplies a critique without really giving much detail into the gameplay

Isn't that already implied in the words "Eurogamer" and "review"?

Cabezone October 26th, 2007 17:41

His definition of RPG is retarded. You are playing a role, it's just chosen for you.

Dyne October 26th, 2007 17:46

Yeah, this is a bit of a disappointing review. I'm reminded of Kieron Gillen's EG review of Mask of the Betrayer, with its "if you like RPGs, you'll like this. If you don't like RPGs, you won't." style summation.

Jaskier October 26th, 2007 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctor_kaz (Post 50769)
The review basically says that the game excels at everything that matters and then gives it a fucking 7/10? Because you can't craft jewel-encrusted armor?

Yea, exactly. What the heck? I'd rate it AT LEAST 9/10 (I've just finished the first act :)

Dez October 26th, 2007 18:31

Just installed the witcher!

So I'm going to spend whole weekend playing witcher, can't remember when I was as excited of any game as I'm now :-)

the Brain October 26th, 2007 18:47

whoa

Hey, the game's great! So you can play only one character, big deal. I've been playing it for two days and I'm pretty much in love with it :)
Gotta go play :)

Melvil October 26th, 2007 19:38

Anyone really surprised? RPG's are the most ambitious games typically, and always get a heavier critique than a more focused game. I too have had the game for about 12 hours, and can mark it as the 3rd game in recent memory that required a sick day from work :)

woges October 26th, 2007 19:48

I think they gave Dungeon Runners 8/10 or something? Never really took them seriously after seeing that.

indigo October 26th, 2007 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvil (Post 50785)
[…]I too have had the game for about 12 hours, and can mark it as the 3rd game in recent memory that required a sick day from work :)

You're fired - greetings - your boss. :XD:

doctor_kaz October 26th, 2007 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvil (Post 50785)
Anyone really surprised? RPG's are the most ambitious games typically, and always get a heavier critique than a more focused game. I too have had the game for about 12 hours, and can mark it as the 3rd game in recent memory that required a sick day from work :)

Oh Goodie I haven't had a game like that since Civilization IV came out. :)

Jaskier October 26th, 2007 23:10

Currently, I'm in the second act and this is how I feel:
As for now, the game has met all my expectations. The plot is interesting, the dialogues witty (the first game I really listen to the whole dialogues), the combat is simply great (at the first it wasn't as captivating, but when I developed the styles, it became great), the mini-games are interesting (especially dice poker), NPCs are great….. And I could go on and on…
Graphics is better than I expected, really. Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's the Aurora engine. There were a couple of times when I was simply standing and admiring the views.

Squeek October 26th, 2007 23:35

Only a relative handful of actors ever get to pick and choose the roles they're offered, so if his definition of role-play were true, I guess the majority of actors would never really be acting. That sounds like awfully creative thinking to me.

So what if the player can't choose his role? It's still a role. A better consideration might be how much the player is able to develop that role.

Jabberwocky October 27th, 2007 04:05

"If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer. "

Pull up a pew?? Is that supposed to be witty? It doesn't even make any sense as a pun.

Dhruin October 27th, 2007 04:36

Hmm…that makes perfect sense where I'm from. Maybe it's a local idiom thing?

chamr October 27th, 2007 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky (Post 50836)
"If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer. "

Pull up a pew?? Is that supposed to be witty? It doesn't even make any sense as a pun.

I'd guess he was saying that if you like all those things, then the Witcher is the church for you to worship at.

Crolug October 27th, 2007 10:47

This kid hasn't got a clue what RPG is all about. I can smell Borelivion follower when I see one. Torment wasn't RPG either. Why? Because you can't customize your own character, that's why! It's nothing compared to best-in-the-world Oblivion!

zakhal October 27th, 2007 11:45

Average (unpatched) review is still more like 8,5 so its still all good. Single review scores dont really matter that much.