RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Golden Compass "Good Or Bad" (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3366)

YellowWing December 4th, 2007 16:10

Golden Compass "Good Or Bad"
 
The reason i put this topic here is because we have a Goverment branch called the Christian Union which are trying too ban this excellent flim base on a book called the Golden Compass , With that said id like too hear what you all think about this

txa1265 December 4th, 2007 16:20

I honestly think it is pathetic that any religious group feels so threatened by a work of obvious fiction that they need to ban it. My younger son loves reading the Bible, but he also loves reading Pullman's trilogy - and he doesn't mistake it for reality. He actually sees more of the political stuff in there and since they study some history he can also see the 'alternate history' potential there as well.

Personally we can't wait to see it.

Ubereil December 4th, 2007 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 56441)
I honestly think it is pathetic that any religious group feels so threatened by a work of obvious fiction that they need to ban it. My younger son loves reading the Bible, but he also loves reading Pullman's trilogy - and he doesn't mistake it for reality. He actually sees more of the political stuff in there and since they study some history he can also see the 'alternate history' potential there as well.

Personally we can't wait to see it.

Are you talking about Pullman's triology, the bible or both?

(I had to ask…)

Übereil

txa1265 December 4th, 2007 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubereil (Post 56470)
Are you talking about Pullman's triology, the bible or both?

(I had to ask…)

Übereil

Since most of what he likes are the stories in the Bible, the most likely answer would be 'both' :D

Bartacus December 5th, 2007 00:35

It reminds of Harry Potter in the states -> There were also some obscure Christian Societies that protested and said it was a bad influence on the childeren (cause there was magic -> There are some who think the inquisition times ain't over yet)

It seems to me people tend to protest sometimes for the most ridiculous things -> LotR The Two Towers should have changed their title cause it reminds people of the Twin Towers at NY. Stuff like that is to pathetic to dignify those people with an answer.
On the other hand there weren't any protests when a building in Ghent (another city in Belgium) was covered with ham just for what some people call 'art'. I call it a waiste of food.

Corwin December 5th, 2007 00:38

Pullman is an aggressive atheist, who, for example, hates the work of CS Lewis (Narnia ). He wants to tear 'religion' down, especially the Christians. I've read (in a secular news magazine ) that he's out to attack the Catholic church. I've not read the books, nor do I want to and I have no plans to see the film, even though I like Nicole Kidman. Am I biased? Yes, but at least I'll admit it!! :)

PS, I have no problem with Harry Potter, or LotR. :)

crpgnut December 5th, 2007 01:19

Kinda agree with Corwin. Pullman is an atheist with an agenda. He admits he wrote his trilogy of books to combat Lewis' Narnia view of the world. I think I'll pirate his movie when it comes out. That way I'll be doing an un-Christian thing, which should make Pullman happy :D Just kidding!

txa1265 December 5th, 2007 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 56514)
I've not read the books, nor do I want to

Too bad … they're very nice stories, our whole family has read them this fall.

mudsling3 December 5th, 2007 02:06

I am gonna read 'em. By the way, atheism is a religion :) Eva Green is in it \o/ move over nicole :D

Benedict December 5th, 2007 15:01

It's bad that they had to change the name to the Golden Compass. Bloody americans, as if it wasn't bad enough telling us we had to call opal fruits something else, where will it end?

Superb books though, it'd be a shame to miss out on them Corwin. I wouldn't have said that they would particularly offend anyone's faith (barring the nutboxes in the states, but I think that's because they want to be offended). It's more of an attack on the oppressive nature of many institutions that have grown around religions than on the underlying belief system itself.

txa1265 December 5th, 2007 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict (Post 56578)
It's more of an attack on the oppressive nature of many institutions that have grown around religions than on the underlying belief system itself.

I agree very much - while there is the whole 'kill god' thing, the general theme is about how the political state of the church has become all-encompassing.

woges December 5th, 2007 15:49

Tolkien didn't like the work of CS Lewis and he was his friend.

At least Narnia anyway.

nessosin December 5th, 2007 16:04

I've read Golden Compass and honestly I havent noticed any outrageous comparisons to catholic church. Though I read some fantasy books in which Christ wasnt crucified, but he went down from the cross and killed all those who opposed him.

So as you can see I am not the best person to say if the Pullmans story is harmfull :).

narpet December 5th, 2007 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 56514)
Pullman is an aggressive atheist, who, for example, hates the work of CS Lewis (Narnia ). He wants to tear 'religion' down, especially the Christians. I've read (in a secular news magazine ) that he's out to attack the Catholic church. I've not read the books, nor do I want to and I have no plans to see the film, even though I like Nicole Kidman. Am I biased? Yes, but at least I'll admit it!! :)

PS, I have no problem with Harry Potter, or LotR. :)

I personally am in the Corwin camp on this one… I too have read much about him and his beliefs and agenda. I won't see it and I won't allow my children to see it… while at the same time I have no problem with them seeing other fantasy based movies…

just my choice…

txa1265 December 5th, 2007 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by narpet (Post 56596)
I personally am in the Corwin camp on this one… I too have read much about him and his beliefs and agenda. I won't see it and I won't allow my children to see it…

Have you read any of the books yourself? The first one - the basis of the movie - is pretty short and not a bad read … that way you will know that you are basing your decision on fact and reality rather than aligning yourself with people burning Harry Potter so that their children won't become witches. ;)

Kidding, of course, just my GamerDad mindset of always making informed choices since just about everything you read about religion is biased one way or another (and I don't mean that bias is bad, either)

Benedict December 5th, 2007 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by narpet (Post 56596)
I personally am in the Corwin camp on this one… I too have read much about him and his beliefs and agenda. I won't see it and I won't allow my children to see it… while at the same time I have no problem with them seeing other fantasy based movies…

just my choice…

Without wishing to be confrontational, would you be preventing them from seeing it for their benefit or for yours? You've chosen your path, let them choose theirs. If your faith is the right ideology for them then a movie won't do them any harm, and if it isn't then censoring alternative perspectives probably will be quite harmful for them.

Again, please don't take this as an attack on your values, merely an honest enquiry as that level of faith is an utterly alien concept to me and I'm curious to understand it better.

woges December 5th, 2007 17:55

Even the Archbishop of Canterbury doesn't mind the book.

I can't really find the logic of being afraid of a book in the first place.

txa1265 December 5th, 2007 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by woges (Post 56611)
I can't really find the logic of being afraid of a book in the first place.

The only books I'm afraid of are big, heavy ones on high shelves about to fall on my head … ;)

woges December 5th, 2007 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 56613)
The only books I'm afraid of are big, heavy ones on high shelves about to fall on my head … ;)

Porn is that popular in your parts? Sorry, I know, I'm a bad man.

woges December 5th, 2007 18:28

Ahem, anyway, I just don't like the idea of groups singling a person or his works out due to religion or whatever reason. I'm not religious (if you didn't notice) but I don't ignore peoples work or ideas that are.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:18.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 Last »

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch