RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hard to be a God - Preview @ Jolt UK (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3994)

magerette February 26th, 2008 21:21

Hard to be a God - Preview @ Jolt UK

Jolt.co.uk is next to offer a preview of Akella's action rpg Hard to be A God, and overall seems positive about their experience with it:
Quote:

In Hard to be a God, based on the book of the same name, two planets have taken divergent paths. One is essentially medieval in nature, while the other is much more recognisable as a modern Earth. As an agent from the second planet, you’re sent to investigate the other, and understand what makes it the way it is.
The very prospect of placing a contemporary-style character in a fantasy setting is pretty intriguing to us, but much more so than its brethren, HtbaG is an action RPG with consequences.
More information.

Zakhary February 26th, 2008 21:21

I'm still undecided on this one. Whether or not to give it a try, I mean.
Please, someone convince me one way or another.

Is it just dungeon siege / diablo with fancy graphics and a silly name?

Brother None February 26th, 2008 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakhary (Post 69422)
Is it just dungeon siege / diablo with fancy graphics and a silly name?

Yes and no.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself because I still have to pen my preview, but Hard to be a God is really on two legs between hack & slash and RPG in a fairly surprising way. It's a sorta unique take, but it's also pretty confusing. I fear the average consumer reaction might be that it does not have enough hack & slash to please hack & slashers and not enough RPG to please RPGers. But I find the way it folds one genre around the other pretty interesting here and there.

Still have to finish it. Once I do I'll have a review ready THAT'LL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF
(I'm taking PR classes from Molyneux)

txa1265 February 26th, 2008 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother None (Post 69428)
Once I do I'll have a review ready THAT'LL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF
(I'm taking PR classes from Molyneux)

Sorry … knocking my socks off is SOOO 90's … I need to have my eyes bleed or mouth froth to make it worth reading ;)

Alrik Fassbauer February 27th, 2008 00:37

Sounds fun, inventing such stereotypes that contain body parts. ;)

zahratustra February 27th, 2008 01:01

Looking forward to the review. I loved the book (which I read WAY back in early seventies) but hold back from buying the game because through it is advertises as ARPG all the screenshots I have seen were showing combat.

Brother None February 27th, 2008 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 69447)
Sorry … knocking my socks off is SOOO 90's … I need to have my eyes bleed or mouth froth to make it worth reading ;)

Imagine the best review you ever read

And then multiply it

BY A BILLION

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahratustra
I loved the book (which I read WAY back in early seventies)

I was too busy with not having been born yet in the 70's, but I did read Hard to be a God, and one more Noon book, though I can't remember which one. Very enjoyable, but I'm not a huge fan.

I got some signals from huge fans that it's not very faithful to the book/Noon universe, though, so perhaps something to be wary of.

zahratustra February 27th, 2008 01:59

Well, althrough I loved Hard to be a God, I loved Picnic by the Roadside even more :)

And thanks for the warning. I was affraid of just that….