RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   NWN2 - Reviews @ IGN & Eurogamer (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465)

Dhruin November 5th, 2006 06:15

NWN2 - Reviews @ IGN & Eurogamer

Both IGN and Eurogamer have published their reviews for NWN2. Let's kick off with IGN, who scored it at 8.5/10:
Quote:

From the starting town of West Harbor, it'll be a little while before you reach the city of Neverwinter. Once there, the plot picks up as your various adversaries are unmasked and you can choose a number of paths to move the story forward. The plot manages to stay interesting, buoyed by generally strong writing for conversations and the occasional witty quip. Neverwinter Nights 2 features a large amount of voiced dialogue, most of which will pass over your eardrums without inducing a cringe, and occasionally make you laugh along.

Kieron Gillen takes over the keyboard for Eurogamer's critique, with a score of 8/10. Here's a late snip:
Quote:

Seven or an eight, seven or an eight…
There's a nagging sense that - perhaps - we're reaching the end of the road of the Black-Isle/Bioware model western-style role-playing game. Jade Empire reviewed well, but disappeared almost immediately from public discourse, dismissed as a Knights of the Old Republic in wushu clothing. Yeah, it was good, but it was good in the same old way. Whatever Bioware do with Dragon Age will be very interesting. In that way, while hugely improved over the original Neverwinter Nights' campaign, this is essentially Baldur's Gate. Shouldn't we be looking for…
Rewind that. This is essentially Baldur's Gate.
Thanks, Melvil.
More information.

Melvil November 5th, 2006 06:15

you're welcome!

HiddenX November 5th, 2006 08:24

NW2 plays like KOTOR - and I like it.

Thaurin November 5th, 2006 17:04

Yeah, and saying that NWN2 is basically Baldur's Gate can also be nothing less than a compliment!

txa1265 November 6th, 2006 03:31

I agree - it is like NWN meets KotOR meets BG2, in quite a good way!

redman5427 November 6th, 2006 20:26

Nwn…..Baldours gate…. titles,titles. Who cares, I like it!!

lilithn November 7th, 2006 10:17

I hope I will not live long enough to see that jRPG conquers the whole RPG market. Not that I think that it will ever happen….Scratch that. I hope I will live long enough to see when jRPG starts conquering the RPG market…;D

Corwin November 7th, 2006 10:30

Sorry, but Japanese RPG's are an oxymoron!!

txa1265 November 7th, 2006 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 5768)

Yeah, but the cinematics are so PRETTY! ;)

Corwin November 7th, 2006 11:12

WOW, I'm supposed to buy/play games for the cinematics? :) IIRC, we had a spate of games like that a few years ago, and they all died quickly!! PTL!! :biggrin:

abbaon November 7th, 2006 11:25

Ah, happily do we live without hate amongst the hateful; amidst hateful men we dwell unhating.

txa1265 November 7th, 2006 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 5789)
WOW, I'm supposed to buy/play games for the cinematics? :) IIRC, we had a spate of games like that a few years ago, and they all died quickly!! PTL!! :biggrin:

It was a joke ;) Actually, I'm not a console gamer so I can't speak for those. But the ports I play on the PSP tell me that they are more like cinematic-heavy action-adventure games than even action-RPG's as defined by the Diablo-likes.

lilithn November 7th, 2006 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 5768)

I think you are right. My fault. ;)

abbaon November 7th, 2006 14:24

Yeah, good one, Corwin. High fives all around.

txa1265 November 7th, 2006 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbaon (Post 5840)

I had high hopes when I initially heard of 'Wizardry Asterisk' for the DS, but then I was shown the 'dark side' of the Japanese Wizardry series …

Corwin November 7th, 2006 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 5819)
It was a joke ;)

Yeah, I knew that, thus my comment!! Perhaps my Aussie sense of humour doesn't work on you Yanks!! (or vice versa) :biggrin:

txa1265 November 7th, 2006 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 5853)
Yeah, I knew that, thus my comment!! Perhaps my Aussie sense of humour doesn't work on you Yanks!! (or vice versa) :biggrin:

I got it - but in light of a couple of comments on my handheld column I wanted to be sure to clarify that I'm not a console gamer.

Corwin November 7th, 2006 14:52

To me, console gamer is also almost an oxymoron!! Well, at least the last part!! :biggrin:

txa1265 November 7th, 2006 14:54

At GamerDad I've learned a lot about consoles and console gamers. I have a lot of respect for them now, but don't like what the drive for $$ has done to my most loved genres (first RPG and now FPS, with Call of Duty 3 being released for X360 and PS3 only)