RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TGC - The Games Company - Secures The Dark Eye License (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5225)

Gorath August 21st, 2008 00:56

TGC - The Games Company - Secures The Dark Eye License

Berlin based publisher TGC - The Games Company announced they were granted a The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge or DSA in German) license. They will use it to let their internal studio (Silver Style; -> The Fall) develop an action-RPG.
According to Dr Stefan Blanck from license holder Chromatrix in the official Drakensang forum TGC's license is non-exclusive. It does not prevent Radon Labs from making a sequel or add-on to Drakensang.
Thanks Alrik and Rohal!
More information.

Brother None August 21st, 2008 00:56

Press release

So, Carsten Strehse gets it? Fun.

Doesn't sound like good news to me.

lef August 21st, 2008 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother None (Post 92381)

My thoughts exactly… then again, I still wish it wouldn't have fallen into some specific german hands anyway.

Gorath August 21st, 2008 04:42

Quote:

Press release

Thanks, I didnīt want to waste my time translating a PR.

The Carsten is CEO and development director of TGC. Itīs unlikely he can do more than supervision.

Sir_Brennus August 21st, 2008 08:34

Quote:

Press release

Why not? For someone who is mentioned in the The Fall credits you seem overtly critical.

I think Carsten and his pals worked with a plethora of Black Isle alumni and are very talented guys.

Having an DSA ACRPG is a good thing anyway, because it only supports the franchise and opens up marktets for all DSA games. They can't hurt DSA, because the 15+ mobile phone games couldn't do also.

It's a win-win situation in my book.

Alrik Fassbauer August 21st, 2008 15:08

The mobile phone games are not really liked within the TDE community - at least the one over there at the Ulisses forum (Ulisses is the current holder of the license) - because of its exclusive content.

An Action-RPG just dioesn't fit into Aventuria. To me it's like making a SIMs game for (A)D&D.

There are only two to three exceptions to that : The Mage Wars -> LMK and the Black Lands, especuially during the Borbarad times.

Brother None August 22nd, 2008 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus (Post 92416)
Why not? For someone who is mentioned in the The Fall credits you seem overtly critical.

My permission wasn't asked :P

Quote:

I think Carsten and his pals worked with a plethora of Black Isle alumni and are very talented guys.

Two QA guys is "a plethora of Black Isle alumni"?

Quote:

Having an DSA ACRPG is a good thing anyway, because it only supports the franchise and opens up marktets for all DSA games.

Why turn a pen and paper game into a computer game if you have no interest in making it a pen and paper emulation (or on the outside an emulation)? It's not like the DSA setting is that fascinating, it's the system that counts. A DSA aRPG sounds like a formula for every other generic aRPG out there.

I'm all for variety in the RPG field, but making DSA an action-RPG makes as much sense as making Fallout an FPSRPG. i.e. none