RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   NWN2 - New Review from Computer Games Romania (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539)

Corwin November 9th, 2006 08:20

NWN2 - New Review from Computer Games Romania
 
Bossman from Romanian site Computer Games has written the latest review of NWN 2 and it's 12 short pages with lots of screen shots. Considering what's been happening with reviews of this game already this week, he finds an interesting way to begin:
Quote:

I'll say this right of the bat: I’m not much of a fan of the first Neverwinter Nights. I won't argue if the game was bad or a masterpiece, there are countless discussions on the Internet in this regard, but for me, NWN lacked that je ne sais quios which would keep me glued in front of the monitor right until the end of the game. Therefore, you can imagine my “enthusiasm” when someone started yelling in the office: “Neverwinter 2 is out! / Do I look like someone who cares? / Well, you should / Why? / Because you’re going to write the review… … … Well, this should be fun.
You'll find it all right here.
More information.

Khass November 9th, 2006 08:20

Romania FTW ! :D

And I can't access the page, the connection is refused, even on the main page …

Bossman November 9th, 2006 08:49

Now it's online, we had to do a small upgrade on the servers :)

txa1265 November 9th, 2006 12:30

Nice review despite the somewhat cautionary beginning … though I have to say that I really don't like the '12 pages for 1500 words' format! It is interesting that while noting that the game isn't intended to be a free-roaming affair like Gothic or Elder Scrolls you still have that as a negative. Good amount of detail - and love the *tons* of screens :)

kalniel November 9th, 2006 13:16

Never heard of them, but that's a fantastic review, with some great screenshots!

Bossman November 9th, 2006 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 6489)
though I have to say that I really don't like the '12 pages for 1500 words' format!

Considering that the review has ~ 5000 words in all, I thought it would be better for the readers to digest it in smaller pieces, structured on specific ideas, rather than having 3 or 4 gigantic pages :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 6489)
It is interesting that while noting that the game isn't intended to be a free-roaming affair like Gothic or Elder Scrolls you still have that as a negative.

Well, I respect the fact that this is how the game was designed from the get go, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it…

txa1265 November 9th, 2006 14:22

Just to reiterate that I did like the review … I'm just nitpicking ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 6512)
Considering that the review has ~ 5000 words in all, I thought it would be better for the readers to digest it in smaller pieces, structured on specific ideas, rather than having 3 or 4 gigantic pages :)

It isn't a big deal - it is just that I think most people can handle ~1000 words per page rather then ~400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 6512)
Well, I respect the fact that this is how the game was designed from the get go, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it, since I'm not a D&D fan to begin with…

I funfamentally disagree with this. Should Oblivion be marked down for not having turn-based combat? Should Battlefield 2142 be marked down for not having a story? Should FEAR be marked down because you shoot stuff? These are all fundamental design choices, and you should be grading the implementation, not the choice - I actually like that you state your personal prejudice on page 1. And in general you keep it separate from your thoughtful evaluation of the game.

Bossman November 9th, 2006 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by txa1265 (Post 6514)
I funfamentally disagree with this. Should Oblivion be marked down for not having turn-based combat? Should Battlefield 2142 be marked down for not having a story? Should FEAR be marked down because you shoot stuff? These are all fundamental design choices, and you should be grading the implementation, not the choice - I actually like that you state your personal prejudice on page 1. And in general you keep it separate from your thoughtful evaluation of the game.

All valid points, if a bit extreme, but in NWN 2's case I took into consideration the fact that since the game is focused on the storyline, atmosphere is also very important, but when you hit a brick wall every time you try to deviate slightly from the paths set to you by the producers it's kind of dissapointing. As I said, I didn't expect something to rival the worlds of Gothic or The Elder Scrolls, but at least try and convince me that this is a living world, not a puppet theatre.

Rendelius November 9th, 2006 15:42

While I am a huge fan of TES games (including and - after the mods - and foremost Oblivion), I have to say that I think that NWN2 is a godsent game with tons of fun for me. NWN was dull, this one is way better, I think.

Corwin November 10th, 2006 01:07

I think it's great that reviewers from other sites are coming here to comment on and defend their views. Bossman, be sure to let us know about any other RPG's you review!!

Bossman November 10th, 2006 08:44

Will do :)

txa1265 November 10th, 2006 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 6667)
I think it's great that reviewers from other sites are coming here to comment on and defend their views. Bossman, be sure to let us know about any other RPG's you review!!

I agree - it was ncie to read a really good review, have a couple of minor quibbles, and discuss them with the author in a civil way … haven't had that happen at Qt3 (from either side!)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch