RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Witcher (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Just starting! (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5590)

Londonchris October 6th, 2008 10:27

Just starting!

Finally got the game downloaded and running (took a while)!
No chance of remembering half of the manual, just have to learn the hard way :S

Looks great though, i will certainly be amused for a loong time :cool:

Konjad October 6th, 2008 22:26

You'll be ok ;) It's not technically hard game, though alchemy might be confusing at the beginning.

Hostile_17 October 6th, 2008 23:28

I'm just starting out as well, can't wait!

Zloth October 7th, 2008 03:02

Manuals are best scanned at first then read once you've seen a little of the game. Leave them in the bathroom. ;)

The game was kinda daunting to me at first. The combat takes a little getting used to. I used the isometric view most of the time and had terrible problems not-quite clicking on an enemy which got turned into a move command. It was well worth spending the time to get good at the combat, though.

Hehe, I love how the characters take Geralt's amnesia in stride - like it's something that happens to people all the time. Which it does in the RPG gaming world! ;)

Londonchris October 7th, 2008 06:46

I like it :)
Does take abit of getting used to, and the potion making will be abit of a learning curve for me.
Lots of cut-scenes and help (which is well done) at the start.
I take it this will last up to the first chapter and then your in the deep end?

Noticed jumping off walls or climbing up is out of the question?!

Hostile_17 October 7th, 2008 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zloth (Post 98555)
Hehe, I love how the characters take Geralt's amnesia in stride - like it's something that happens to people all the time. Which it does in the RPG gaming world! ;)

haha yes too true lol.

I also liked how after been moments from death Trish wants some action lol.

Embolus October 7th, 2008 16:43

It's a great game. You're in for a different experience each chapter. I beat it a few days ago, still been thinking about it lots - it's a great game. My advice to you is to really give thought about the choices you make, don't rush through all the text. It's a rewarding story.

Oh yeah, and I got much use out of the Igni sign. If you invest points into it, and take an endurance regeneration potion - you're pretty much unstoppable.

Londonchris October 7th, 2008 19:31

Well he`s not much of a drinker, only had 3 drinks with the chap with the gardening problem… ended up totally hammered at 2AM and staggering around trying to light candles!

Jabberwocky October 10th, 2008 06:44

Londonchris: Much as in the real world, how hammered Geralt gets depends on the kind of drinks he is given. Three bottles of wine or some other hard liquor and he will be toast, maybe even pass out, but beer takes a lot more to get to the same point - 5-7 drinks isn't out of the question.

As far as the little tutorial screens go, they will keep popping up until you've exhausted them all, though it will be less frequent as you progress. Everytime you learn a new sign you will trigger one, which goes at least into chapter 3.

KazikluBey October 10th, 2008 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky (Post 98890)
Everytime you learn a new sign you will trigger one, which goes at least into chapter 3.

You can get them all in chapter 2, actually.

Jabberwocky October 10th, 2008 14:19

Oh yeah I forgot, the last one is inside the tower right? That's right at the end of the chapter though.

KazikluBey October 10th, 2008 16:18

Yeah, that's true.

Hostile_17 October 13th, 2008 14:38

Really enjoying this game now, somehow managed to lose / sell the ring of Eternal Fire, so that made things a bit more difficult!

Jabberwocky October 14th, 2008 03:59

That's why it's good to keep it on your finger! ;)

Oh, btw… I'm correcting myself on the previous claim about learning the signs. You can also learn the last sign (whichever one that is called - I forgot) in the cave in the swamp - you don't have to wait till the end of chapter II. Uh that is, if there are four signs. There's four right?

DeepO October 14th, 2008 04:44

No, 5.
Reload to your previous claim :).

Hostile_17 October 14th, 2008 12:43

END OF CHAPTER ONE SPOILERS!

Well I just completed chapter one and is was damn good! On the positive I'm getting laid more than I ever do in real life!

Spoiler

So far love the game though, just a little bit of a shame that so many NPC's in chapter two look the same!

Jabberwocky October 14th, 2008 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepO (Post 99409)
No, 5.
Reload to your previous claim :).

D'oh! I hate it when I'm right and then undermine my own credibility!

Hostile_17 November 3rd, 2008 12:12

On chapter 4 now, have been really enjoying it.

I think the story could be a bit stronger in some respects however:

Spoiler

Jabberwocky November 3rd, 2008 14:06

Spoiler

*edit* whoops, just realized you said you are in chapter 4, which means you already know about what I said in the spoiler tag. - I just started chapter 4 myself.

Essaliad November 3rd, 2008 16:10

Well, quite regardless—

Spoiler