RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Risen (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Improved graphics for Risen (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8388)

Ergonpandilus October 6th, 2009 23:32

Improved graphics for Risen

Thanks to this article, I was able to tune up the graphics quite radically.

+ General drawing distance +100%
+ Shadows are 2x sharper
+ Shadows draw distance increased significantly
+ Vegetation range is 2x
+ Object (including npcs/monsters) draw distance increased 10x

Download configUser.rar and extract it to c:/users/your_name/AppData/Local/Risen (in Win7/Vista) and you will have a much better graphics in the game.

Toaster October 7th, 2009 00:11

Thanks for the tip, nice to find other ways to get the most out of my graphics card when playing without AA.

Darundo October 7th, 2009 02:11

thanks for the heads up, will test it soon! :)

Edit: Okay, seems when I added that file you added I get a fatal memory allocation error.

I did remove the .biks from logo.ini and Risen does start faster by skipping those videos.

Before I had all my settings on high with 1900x1200 (16:10) resolution, it was a little sluggish up until now when I turned off Depth of Field. It runs MUCH smoother, really don't even need the configuser.ini I don't think. DOF is just the problem.

Guybrush October 7th, 2009 09:30

Where do we extract configUser.rar if we use XP?

Ergonpandilus October 7th, 2009 14:30

In WinXP it's C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Risen

matziq October 7th, 2009 18:26

Can anyone confirm if replacing this file on a Windows 7 box will break the game? Someone said he causes a memory error.

Ergonpandilus October 7th, 2009 18:52

I tested this again and it works 100% for me.

Just make a copy of your exisitng configuser.xml file before extracting and give it a shot. And tell us the result.

matziq October 7th, 2009 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus (Post 1060975187)
I tested this again and it works 100% for me.

Just make a copy of your exisitng configuser.xml file before extracting and give it a shot. And tell us the result.

I'll test it at lunch.

Guybrush October 8th, 2009 04:38

I tried it on XP, and I get a fatal memory allocation error. Some Compatibility issue maybe.

Zloth October 8th, 2009 05:07

I think the resolution is set in the config file. If the resolution in the config is higher than your graphics card can handle, it's going to fall down and go boom. It should be pretty easy to spot in there, just change it to what you want.

Ergonpandilus October 8th, 2009 08:33

Oh, yes sorry about that. The resolution is 1680x1050 and if your computer doesn't support it, it most likely will crash.

Check through the xml before launching the game.

The even better way really is to copy-paste the stuff from my xml to yours.

daemionsos October 8th, 2009 14:43

Can you just post the tweaks so I can edit my own config file? The idea of using someone else's file is not good. Thanks.

edit: oh duh, I'll just look through your file. I swear that post above mine was invisible or something.

Guybrush October 9th, 2009 01:16

Fixed! My Resolution is:

Bottom="1080"
RefreshRate="60"
Right="1920"

This is running a geforce 8800GTX btw. However, I think that made graphics worse.

Ergonpandilus October 9th, 2009 02:22

Are you saying that the textures and models in Risen are so bad, that it's better to have DoF, HDR and all kinds of effects maximum and visibility as low as possible. LOL :D

Can you make a screenshot comparison to prove your point?

Guybrush October 9th, 2009 05:00

2 Attachment(s)
Notice the skulls on the ground. On one of the images, its 3D while on the other its flat. The better image is the original, while the worse image is the one with the improved graphics.

Probably should have taken screens during the daylight.

Ergonpandilus October 9th, 2009 08:54

Could you take a new screenshots, those are just too dark. :)

mastorofpuppetz October 9th, 2009 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus (Post 1060975607)
Are you saying that the textures and models in Risen are so bad, that it's better to have DoF, HDR and all kinds of effects maximum and visibility as low as possible. LOL :D

Can you make a screenshot comparison to prove your point?

It improves the view distance dramtically, it gets rid of the blurry fog, try it for yourself, it does make a difference.

Alistair October 9th, 2009 22:13

I've only tested this for about a minute, but so far it works really well. If you have the video card, try it. If you do just copy that config file over wholesale, you'll get all of his settings, but you can just change them back in game.

Ergonpandilus October 9th, 2009 23:40

Nice to know it works fine. There might be some other changes that I missed, so check configdefault.xml from your Risen gamefolder.

But for now, it's time for a drink. Happy weekened. :D

Alistair October 10th, 2009 00:44

Worked very well indeed. Transformed the game IMO. Tweaking G3 like this never quite worked - I always got strange gaps in the landscape (not to mention crashes) but here it really does push the sharpness out into the distance - very, very nice.