Thread: A Thought
View Single Post

October 25th, 2008, 23:05
I just wrote this piece in a different forum, I'll copy it to here, because it is the destillation / result of the thoughts of my last days:

About DRM:

The bad thing in principle is in my opinion, that old games - even after 20 years, for example - won't given away for free. They are *still* a commercial product, then, although no-one will buy it (except a few enthusiasts), and they're "dead" as "cash-cows".

The reason why I see this as a problem is of philosophical nature:

A game is meant to be played, NOT to be stored away.

If it is stored away and no-one plays it anymore, then it is no game anymore.

But this is what the companies do: They de facto forbid to play these older games by placing copying as illegal meanwhile not producing these games anymore and not giving them away as Freeware either.

I'm NOT talking about Abandonware !

This is of philosophical nature, and I don't have the impression as if the companies think like this.

Because - I assume - otherwise they would react differently.

If this assumption is right, then this is further proof to me that these so-called "game producers" don't believe and think in terms of "games" at all !

No, instead they are treating games as wares !

this means that games have become "economized". Games have become a ware like everything else, and thus are stripped off thir original meaning of being games.

I find this very disturbing, even more disturbing that the companies never thought it this way.

according to how they act towards games, they apparingly believe in game-wares as something you use and thrwow away after use. Like you eat a banana and throw away the remains. Or drink from a bottle of watrer and throw the empty bottle away, then.

This just adds to the drive of the economies to commercialize everything of our living - all of our lives.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR