View Single Post

November 30th, 2006, 01:39
It's so hard to pick my 10 favorite RPGs. I took the challenge and listed the games in chronological order. I tried not to pick any games from the last few years, but ones that stood the test of time, at least in my mind.

Ultima IV & V (Origin, 1985 & 1988) These are some of the games that started me on CRPGs. They had great stories, but most importantly they allowed you to explore their huge game worlds. And don't forget the music!

Phantasie III: The Wrath of Nikademus (SSI, 1987) The culmination of the oft-forgotten Phantasie series. It had a cool, linear story, great graphics (on the Atari ST) and fun combat where you could lose arms, legs, and heads.

Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back (FTL, 1987 & 1988) Amazing! Real time dungeon crawling almost 20 years ago.

Demon's Winter (SSI, 1988) This game looked dated when it first came out, but the combat and character systems were very detailed. Plus the world was so overwhelming large!

Gold Box Games (SSI, 1998 - 1992) I'm sure you know all about these.

Final Fantasy VI (Squaresoft, 1994) The first and best Japanese RPG that I've ever played. The story and multiple characters are very memorable. Truly an epic game.

Diablo (Blizzard, 1996) Say what you want, call it a mindless clickfest or whatever, but this game was and still is loads of fun.

Baldur's Gate I & II (Bioware, 1998 & 2000) Simply great games.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Bethesda, 2002) All I need to say is one word: Freedom.

The Temple of Elemental Evil (Troika, 2003) I'm not sure why this never caught on more. It's like the BG games with tactical combat!
Last edited by bpstrat; November 30th, 2006 at 01:47.

bpstrat

Traveler