View Single Post

December 30th, 2008, 12:05
I quite like the suggestions for online activation & login giving additional perks with a basic vanilla game playable without any additional checks.

Not sure that the possibility of game publishers going under in time and the game then becoming unplayable because of a lack of online activation makes any excuse for piracy initially though. Once the company goes under, if they've made no provision for ongoing support for their games and there's pirated copies on the net that can still be played, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with getting a pirated copy.

Getting a pirated copy in the first place while the company's still going because you might need a pirated copy in the future though is just nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, I think companies should have the good sense to effectively remove their DRM after a few years, spread patches that convert legitimate copies into DRM free, no online activation copies etc. Not to mention make sure that they add all their games to somewhere like GOG cheaply enough that they can be picked up again as needed etc.

Benedict

SasqWatch