View Single Post

January 9th, 2009, 14:22
Originally Posted by Xizor View Post
I generally like more linear approach to gaming, such as BioWare exhibits in their games. Open ended elements like in the GTA series (just driving, exploring cities, routes, hidden things) mostly do not peak my interest, after completing missions in GTAs I simply stopped playing. Practically the only games I enjoy that are not strongly story driven are 4x games. So, even though I could not be considered an expert on exploration I do enjoy the sense of discovery. For the example System shock series were excellent to me in that regard, even though they are probably not the most non-linear games around.

Back on topic, I sure do hope that some of the upcoming titles in 2009 (Dragon Age, Age of Decadence etc), make up for this one. Perhaps the hope is forlorn, but I will not relinquish it.
Well, I'm a great fan of freedom in pretty much every way - but content is essential for entertainment. In my opinion the GTA series have always suffered from a lack of content. That may sound odd, but I'm talking about having a great open world with nothing but meaningless and trivial activities to actually do. The storyline is typically quite good and there are interesting characters, but the mission design is not always as good and the archaic trial-and-error approach is downright horrible. I want meaningful side quests and character development before I consider GTA more than an amusing time waster.

As for System Shock, being my all-time favorite game, I can't argue with you there. I'm an explorer before pretty much anything else when I play games, and System Shock is all about exploring and discovering the story bit by bit. The original was actually quite non-linear as well, and though certain areas of the space station were off-limits at the beginning, it opens up relatively quickly and it stands as one of the best examples of level design I've ever seen.

The genre originated with the old step-by-step games, most notably Dungeon Master from 1987. These games hold a special place in my heart, and though System Shock did away with most of the RPG elements, it stands as the ultimate evolution of the genre. You could argue, though, that Xenomorph which came out 4 years prior (I think) is the real inspiration and is often overlooked as a major innovator - especially in terms of introducing a strong sci-fi theme and the "disk logs" concept.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential