View Single Post

January 10th, 2009, 21:33
It saddens me that the likelihood of Dragon Age actually being what long-time Baldur's Gate fans want… is really slim.

The trend in every game they've released since had been in the wrong directiion, imo. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect… while not terrible games by any measure (especially when compared to what's released by most other game companies), have trended toward streamlining and simplicity of gameplay; which is almost always the polar opposite of what fans of Baldur's Gate are looking for.

The secrets and mysteries of geography and plot… that's what I loved about the BG series. Stumbling upon the Kangaxx sub-plot in BG2… there's more there than in some full games.

I fail to see why a single-player game can't come to market, turn a profit, and yet still be successful at being large and complex. Does a large company always have to look at appealing to the largest market? (Rhetorical question.)

Not to compare apples and oranges, but the reason WoW is so overwhelmingly popular, lies in the fact that there is always something else to see and do. It's a world you can get lost in… which is the real reason we all play these games, I think. To be somewhere else.

Streamlining and simplifying the interface and UI? Yes. Streamlining and simplifying the story, content, and actual gameplay? Please no.

Bring back the impossibly deep, 200+ hour, single-player experience, please.

Dyspaire

Watcher