View Single Post

January 10th, 2009, 22:10
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I like my rpgs to center around story, (many) other people apparently like their rpgs to center around exploration. And apparently there are more of them than there are of the likes of me. I still don't quite understand why the Editor's Choice were given to Fallout 3. An Editor's Choice award, imo, should not be given to games that just let the player go through the same old routines, but should be given to a game that tries something new and creative. And that why I would give the Editor's Choice award to —- Mass Effect.
I think you've misunderstood "Editor's Choice" and "Editors' Choice". This isn't a gold star award for the best RPG - it's simply the vote of the staff. More staff liked Fallout 3 more than Avernum 5 - the number 2. As a group, I'm sorry, Mass Effect was further down the list.

If it were an award, I doubt Mass Effect would win (but we didn't vote on that premise, so that's just my assumption based on where ME ended up). In fact, I'd apply your description in reverse - Mass Effect just went through the same routines. It's an updated, streamlined KotOR. I don't see anything particularly new or creative, unless you're counting the dialogue wheel and I'd put Fallout 3's VATs up against that - both achieve their main gameplay intent but have other problems.

By the way, I really enjoy story-based games - I just didn't find Mass Effect's that special. It certainly wasn't bad - I quite enjoyed it - but I enjoyed Fallout 3 more.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team