View Single Post

January 18th, 2009, 18:33
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
They didn't see the real point in that technology. The same for the internet. In the beginning, they thought of it as an exchange for scientific essays. Even the first homepages mainly consisted of business descriptions like a commercial flyer. Compare the old days to Web 2.0 nowadays, it's totally different how we use it.
Actually, we were ignoring the Internet, not because we didn't understand it, because we didn't see any business applications for it.

Everyone saw two groups of customers in the beginning. The first was governments and businesses the size of governments. The second was telephone companies, because they were the obvious ones in the best position to eventually provide data services to that first group of customers.

No one — absolutely no one — envisioned the amount of interest individuals would have in getting Internet access. Once that became clear, the numbers suddenly changed. We had been thinking in terms of targeting hundreds of whales, but hundreds of thousand of smaller fish came out of nowhere, waiting to be caught, and everyone suddenly realized the enormous potential.

Internet 2.0 (whatever that means at the moment) might happen someday. Until then there's still some uncertainty. This stuff is technically challenging, covers a lot of ground where monkey wrenches can pop out of nowhere, and involves customers who are often adept while remaining somewhat befuddled.

Having said all that, I think it is analogous to computer gaming. The real market for these games is everyone who owns a PC. That's what we didn't consider back then and is what publishers aren't considering now.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits