View Single Post

March 16th, 2009, 19:41
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Not really heard of Hapthorn Matthew Hughes, but it sounds like you're after new weird novels (more mature settings, heavily city influenced, real world political themes etc).

If so you might like this new weird anthology as a place to start, has quite a few different authors (including K J Bishop & Jay Lake) so you can get a feel for a few options. I'd also recommend Jeff Vandermeer's Ambergris books, another great city setting, strange mushroom people & a bit of an obsession with squid, along with probably the only really good exploration of the arts & culture scene in a fantasy world (which generally gets glossed over in favour of sword fights).

Plus Felix Gilman's novels Thunderer & Gears of the City, which are critically well received new weird stuff regularly compared to Mieville (and which I've probably already spammed too much on here so will leave it at that).
Thats a lot of New Weird stuff! I might have to look for audiobook versions of some of those, I just don't have enough time to read everything I want to.

To sum it up, I feel our space program ended up like this. "It's one small step for man. One giant leap for man kind. Oops I fell on my butt after that leap and can't get up anymore."

buckaroobonzai

VR nomad