View Single Post

March 30th, 2009, 19:18
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Okay, new stuff for the anti-violence faction in Germany. They already want to ban all "killer-games" again because of that shooting recently. And the parents of the victims demanded that in their open letter.

These are quote I really find scaring. So someone playes games because of the violence involved ? Sounds to me like a statement of a warrior kaste.

Games are NOT played because they are NOT violent ? Because that would be the same argument turned upside down.

So I'm sure he will never, never ever play the game "Book Of Unwritten Tales" … Because it is a fantasy adventure (game) … No violence at all …

Sometimes I can do nothing but shake my head in disbelief.
No, Alrik, this is no ammo for Dr. Pfeiffer and his cronies. I absolutly and wholeheartly agree with the author, because I got his point. It's not like he doesn't want to play non-violent games, but he wants hilarious over-the-top violence in games, because that's the place where it is hilarious, while in real life violence is always dark, depressing and dirty.

In real life I actually don't remember beating ANYBODY (was assaulted, but feigned dead) and refused the army, but I also like FANTASY violence. It's this violence The Las Action (terribly movie) refers to: Driving through walls and getting shot at close range only gives you scratches and the evil guys survive even a little lynching activity (Die Hard). It's not real, it's not realistic, it's not "dark and gritty" and most of it is just hilariously rediculous.

If I want the honest and earnest way of violence then I will watch "All quite on Western Front" or "The Bridge". Does that work in game? Well, I think nearly no game has gone this way (not even and especially not game like The Witcher) except maybe for the Medal of Honor or Call of Duty games in some scenes (Omaha Beach, Stalingrad) and I really felt uneasy playing these parts. Heck, even brutally cynic games like Wasteland and Fallout give you loads of comic relief.
Last edited by Sir_Brennus; March 30th, 2009 at 19:21. Reason: Forgot a sentence.

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker