View Single Post

April 12th, 2009, 16:29
Ong Bak 2, the sequel (in order of release) and prequel (in storyline) to Ong Bak: Muay Thai Warrior.
I have seen the first and was relatively unimpressed, however, Ong Bak 2 was simply stunning. The sheer breadth of Tony Jaa's martial repertoire is incredible, transitioning swiftly on-screen from Muay Boran (more lethal and largely untaught form of Thai boxing), kenjutsu, silat and kung-fu, while utilizing an arsenal of weapons as diverse as a katana and three-section staff. What separates it from the vast majority of other martial-art films, however, is the realism of the choreography: not only do the combat scenes appear to be part of an actual fight, but the films antagonists act in a coordinated fashion, attacking his back and sides when an opportunity presents itself. In short, unlike so many other action films featuring hand-to-hand combat, you are never left thinking "but why didn't they duck?" or "if I were there, I would have stabbed him in the back when he was turned around punching out those six other guys one at a time" and the like.
…besides, I am a sucker for foreign action films.

themadhatter

Philosopher Emeritus