View Single Post

April 13th, 2009, 15:41
So we started looking at the biggest stuff we'd done that people really liked, but that we could do in smaller, digestible chunks.

That's where we came to the Knights of the Nine model — it's substantive and it adds multiple hours of game play and new items, but we can do it in a time frame that allows us to get it out without waiting forever. That's what we've gone for with Fallout 3.
Multiple hours? You mean like more than one?!

This is exactly what I think of when I think DLC, and for me it's a big turn-off. If I've put a game down for a few months, am I going to get back into it for an extra five hours of content? No. If I haven't finished it the first time, am I going to download that content in the middle? No. I don't call an expansion like Shivering Isles a HUGE event in RPGland, and I don't think a year is a long to wait for something worthwhile. Am I supposed to be 8 years old or something? Actually, I think it's perfect because at that point I would have played the game out and put it aside for several months.

What they want is a business model that provides constant revenue with low risk and little investment in their bite-size games. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense, but I wouldn't touch it.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head