View Single Post

April 15th, 2009, 17:37
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I liked Jeff's approach to figuring out how much to charge for a game, except he left out the first consideration. Just about everyone makes that same mistake, so it's forgivable.

Ask someone who's looking for a new job how much they feel they should be paid, and they'll invariably go into that same kind of analysis. That's fine, but it's the wrong way to answer that particular question. The only right way to answer that is to venture an opinion of what the market will bear for someone with your same skills and amount of experience. All other considerations are secondary.

That may seem nitpicky, but it can make a world of difference. One should always determine fair-market value first, IMO, and then go from there.
You are confusing a job with a product. When doing a job the employee usually has minimal, if any, costs. So whatever the employee makes is pure "profit". If I am producing a product there is some cost involved (fixed + per item sold) that I *have* to make back or I have no profit and am actually losing money. And if this is my job I also have to make enough to pay myself.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator