View Single Post

April 17th, 2009, 08:44
Originally Posted by Yeesh View Post
I disagree. Last point first, I'm not sure how you define "casual", but I don't think there's a less apt word for Blizzard's core audience. World of Warcraft? Diablo II? Starcraft? Warcraft III? There are more people who've put in a thousand (1000) hours or more to any ONE of those games than there are people who've put 1000 hours into all of our beloved CRPG classics COMBINED. I don't have empirical data here, but do you honestly think that's incorrect? I mean, frigging WoW? In how many games can people can play 10-15 hours a week for 2 or 3 years and still be called "casual" by the hardcore players? I think if you're going to call Blizzard games casual, you'll need to provide some examples of what games are hard-core.
I don't think we agree at all, here.

I'm not being exclusive about this, as in WoW isn't the only Blizzard game and we should remember that there's an addictive quality that I would deem quite unhealthy, and which can affect even the most casual of gamers.

While 10-15 hours a week might seem hardcore to you - and I'm certain there are millions who don't even play that much - it's nothing compared to the enthusiasts or hardcore gamers.

But playtime is but one aspect, and the primary aspect of the hardcore gamer is the amount of passion and energy he's willing to invest to learn and understand the finer mechanics, and to strive to become the best player he can be. I know enough about WoW to recognize that kind of player is still in the minority.

Anyway - Blizzard have always specifically designed their games around people who don't necessarily want to work to understand them, and they go out of their way to make sure the basics are as easy to grasp as is humanly possible.

Their main audience is casual, there's no doubt about it, and it will become steadily more casual as the years go by - if I'm not much mistaken.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential