View Single Post

June 9th, 2009, 14:04
Originally Posted by human_male View Post
Since I'd prefer a smaller screen, I figued I'd save money and get a good LCD monitor as apposed to a mid to low range TV. Is that a good idea?
Yes.

The problem I'm having with a monitor is how best to connect it. With the VGA cable you can select a resolution on the 360, and as I understand it's important to select your monitor's native resolution to avoid scaling issues (like jagged edges, screen distortion and letterboxing). But I hear HDMI is superior. So which would be better? If the monitor in question was 1920 x 1080 full HD and I used HDMI to connect it, would I simply be able to select 1080p and avoid scaling issues altogether?
Technically, HDMI is better. In practice, you won't be able to see a difference between that and a good-quality VGA cable on a properly (auto-)adjusted monitor and good-quality VGA output. If the VGA output, connector, or cable aren't good quality, though, you will see problems.

Yes, 1080p on a 1920 x 1080 full HD panel will have no scaling. However, the XBox 360 doesn't actually render games at that resolution: they'll be scaled up from whatever resolution it does render them. This scaling may or may not be better quality than what the monitor can do internally. IOW, it won't be perfect in either case, and it may not even look dramatically better than what you're seeing now.

I've narrowed my extensive search down to two monitors: the Samsung 2233SW and the Viewsonic VX2433WM. Both have similar specs and are full HD 1920 x 1080, but the Viewsonic is a TN panel and I heard they don't look as good as others because they sacrifice picture quality for response time. Is that true?
There are always trade-offs. Response time is more important for games. However, nowadays the quality is what I'd call "good enough" even in monitors optimized for speed.

But the Viewsonic has HDMI and the Samsung does not. If I wanted to use HDMI with the Samsung I'd have to use an HDMI to DVI converter. My question there is will that work? Are they compatible (the official 360 HDMI cable has a seperate cable for audio which is how I intend to get my sound)?
HDMI to DVI is not always compatible. It's that way by design.

Or I could go for an LCD television. Since I perfer a smaller display I'd go for something around 22" to 24". There isn't much of a choice in my neck of the woods (New Zealand), and the models I've been looking at (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic) would be about twice the price of the monitors above. They also come in two resolutions. 1360 x 768, and 1680 x 1050. Which would be better? Would 1360 x 768 be better because that's HD 720p?
Doesn't make much difference in practice.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO