View Single Post

June 10th, 2009, 00:10
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
You can't. Different games render at different resolutions; you will find yourself scaling at least some of the time — either in the XBox or in the monitor/TV.

(TV's often have better scaling chips than monitors, so you might get a better result with one.)
This really blows my mind. I assumed that if the 360 was outputting in the same resolution as the monitor's native resolution I'd be sweet.

I had assumed the jaggies I notice playing games was because I play at 1280 x 1024. When playing Fallout 3 (which looks pretty good despite everything) I see quite pronounced jaggies on the side of people's faces and on weapons when I'm looking at them in first person. I just tried upping the resolution on the 360 to 1440 x 900. The aspect ratio was all off, but I thought it would at least give me an idea of what I oculd expect from a new monitor with higher res. Imagime my surprise when I saw that the jaggies were still there. Not as pronounced on the faces, but just as pronounced on the weapons.

So now I really don't know what to do. I don't know if it's even worth spending all that money on a new monitor if it's not going to be the improvement I'd hoped.

The other issue I have with the monitor, the fact that most games appear quite dark, is probably due to the VGA cable. I think the official one is high quality because other than the darkness the picture looks quite good. But if I did get a new monitor I'd still be stuck with VGA, so most games would probably be still too dark. It's actually only a problem with games that don't have ingame brightness control like Mass Effect. And if I set the display to Multimedia (you know the button on the fron of CRTs that allow you to select Text, Internet, Game, Multimedia) it looks pretty good. Fallout 3 actually looks very good. But if I'm going to spend all that money I don't want to be stuck with the same issues I'm having with the monitor I already have.

Would it make more sense to buy a less expensive, basic monitor rather than an expensive full HD one?

Edit: On the features listed on the Viewsonic monitor I mentioned it says "Aspect ratio adjustment ensures your images are never distorted regardless of signal source." Is it talking about scaling? Would something like that actually work?

Thanks again.
Last edited by human_male; June 10th, 2009 at 00:41.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.