View Single Post

June 11th, 2009, 03:44
Originally Posted by Rithrandil View Post
If you can buy your TV/monitor at costco, you should. They have way, way, way good prices and their return policy is such that if you took a hammer to the screen within 90 days they'd replace it, pretty much.

They stand by their products and are the best place to buy anything!
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post

Indeed. Is there anyplace you could try before you buy, or that has a liberal returns policy?
I live in New Zealand actually. I believe Costco is on it's way here but I don't think there are any stores open yet.

There are a couple of places nearby that have what we call a "change of mind" policy, and over here you have to check that because unlike the US some places don't allow it. The chain consumer electronics places that you usually find shoulder to shoulder in shopping centers and things do, but they tend to have the smallest range. The dedicated computer stores, particularly the online stores have better range but either charge a high restocking fee or won't allow change of mind returns at all. One place won't even take back damaged or faulty goods unless you return it in three days, which I'm not sure is actually legal as we have something called the consumer protection act. But anyway.

I visited a couple of stores today that do in fact have change of mind policies. One is two weeks which is excellent. I looked at some tvs and was lucky enough to talk to some sales guys who seemed quite knowledgeable. They both reiterrated what you mentioned, Prime, that there's no point going full HD because the 360 can't support it. They recommended 720p/1080i. I think a tv might be the way to go after all.

They had one on sale called a Konka (I've never heard of them either) KL22CS62Q, HD ready, 22" 1366 x 768. It's on special at the moment and in my price range. I watched a bit of a DVD and the picture looked fine. As I understand 1366 x 768 is still HD 720p/1080i, is that correct? I don't know whether I'd still get scaling issues with this. I've tried to find reviews online but I can't find anything so I don't know if this brand is any good or what kind of reputation it has. Have you guys heard of them? http://www.laurenson1.co.nz/shop/sho….php?prod=6708 I think I'll try this one and if I'm not happy I can return it, which is a huge load off my mind.

The next one up is the Sony 19" Bravia KLV-19T400. Again the picture looks ok and I go with Sony for most of my other electronics, it's more expensive but still in my range. But again I can't find any reviews on it so I wonder what you guys thought of these two. It's 1680 x 1050. I'm still a little fuzzy on the whole HD/full HD thing but 1680 x 1050 and 1366 x 768 are both considered HD, 720p/1080i, right? I'm not sure which resolution would look better or which would avoid scaling issues better.

If I was to go with a monitor after all, I can get a Samsung 933BW 19" at a pretty good price, but I can't have a look at it first or return it, so I'm leaning toward the TVs at the moment.

I also just wanted to say how much I appreciate the input. I've asked these questions on a couple of tech forums and its here, on a RPG forum that I've recieved the most help. Most just ignore my questions altogether. So thank you. It's appreciated.

Please keep responding if you can think of anything else that might be helpful, especially on the models I mentioned.

Cheers.
Last edited by human_male; June 11th, 2009 at 04:16.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.