View Single Post

June 15th, 2009, 02:21
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
First off, if the scaling algorithm is any good at all, 720p scaled up to 1366 x 768 will look very good. (FWIW, I have a 1080p monitor, but my video card is rarely up to the challenge, which means I often play games at around 720p resolution on it, and it also looks pretty good.)

So, I think that one your main problems — the jaggies — is due to the limitations of the XBox, and nothing you can do with your monitor will fix that. Another problem — the letterboxing — is due to the shape of your current monitor. Any widescreen monitor or TV will fix that.

So, my advice? If this is mainly/only for games, buy a small LCD TV with an HDMI input from a respectable manufacturer. That's what the XBox is primarily designed to work on, it's bright, it's optimized to handle motion, it will scale things as needed very well, including anamorphic scaling which monitors rarely do, and it's plug-and-play.
That's good advice. Once again, thanks.

I've actually found something I think I'll like. The Sony Bravia 26" KLV-26T400A. http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-26t400a

It's a little bigger and costs a bit more than I wanted to pay but I think I'd be happier with it than anything else. I trust Sony more than any other brand, and it looked pretty sweet in the store. The only thing is I can't find out the response time.

But I actually already ordered a little monitor, a Samsung 933bw in the hopes it would be adequate and I wouldn't need to buy a tv. But after seeing this one I think I made a mistake and should have just got the Sony. I can't return the monitor but I can sell it I think. I'll take a hit but hopefully not too much.

I'm actually thinking about phoning the store and asking them to cancel the order. But then I'll never know if the monitor would have sufficed. I'm crippled by indecision once again. Grrrrrr! What to do?

Anyway, thanks again. You've been a big help. Even just having someone to discuss this with was a help. When I think of all the tech and consumer products forums that I asked questions on and they completely ignored me. So thanks.
Last edited by human_male; June 15th, 2009 at 02:34.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.