View Single Post

July 3rd, 2009, 01:51
Thank God they don't make boats the way they make PC games. Or cars. Or planes (or anything anything else where the user's life depends on the product actually working the way it's supposed to work).

But PC games are difficult to make, right? And those other things aren't. So the bar gets set much lower for PC games. Boats only have to float; cars only have to roll around, and planes only have to fly….

OK, wait a minute! Flying — that's difficult too, isn't it? So why aren't planes crashing left and right like PC games? I'll tell you why, because if they were, that would be taken very seriously. And PC game customers definitely aren't ones anyone takes very seriously.

I think if we took ourselves more seriously and demanded to be taken more seriously, there'd be far fewer applications crashing. But we don't. So it is what it is…and what it is is very convenient for PC game makers.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits