View Single Post

July 3rd, 2009, 20:40
Originally Posted by mogwins View Post
I realise not everybody's personal favourite can make the list, but I'm somewhat disappointed that Planescape: Torment didn't even make the "honourable mentions". Yes, it uses the Infinity Engine, but it's sufficiently different in style and approach to Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale to warrant discussion. That and the fact that it probably has the best writing and characterisation of any computer game ever made…
Quite on the contrary, PST does get mentioned, in the last section Additional games, and in passing in the BG part of the article. While it is a great game, and I agree that more RPGs should take a hint a ditch the standart sword and sorcery fanfare, and more than borrow from the ideas of Torment, almost nobody does. Therefore while it is recommended material from a design point of view, not really essential material. BG put DnD games back on the map, which enable the creation of Torment. Torment, apart from being a great game, has had little impact on the genre in general (in my view).

Polyester

Watchdog