View Single Post

August 25th, 2009, 21:16
I tend to finish most games that I play. Interestingly, the same thing afflicts me with games as with novels. I play/read less and less as I get near the end because I don't want it to end. I've been half-way through the final book of the Hyperion Cantos for 6 months now. I get invested in characters and don't like to let them go. Unfortunately, the absurd side-effect of this is sometimes I delay so much I never finish, which is, of course, idiotic.

As for the question, I can't help be be effected by the RPGs of old which had the possibility for an order of magnitude more hours than a modern game. But I try to be reasonable. I understand the multiple reasons for shorter modern games.

If a game is heavily story-based and fairly linear, I want ~30 hours. With a really great story I'll tolerate 20. If it's open world, well I want a lot more than that, but fortunately, I can accomplish that on my own as I tend to imagine my own story as I go even if there are no story elements going on in the game engine itself. All I need is fun game play and I'll take care of the rest. This facet of my gaming style actually adds a good number of hours to any game, open-world or not. And other elements like my propensity to sneak all the time (in games where there is a sneaking mechanic) also adds a lot of play hours.

Guhndahb

Sentinel