View Single Post

August 27th, 2009, 15:49
Thanks PJ and Rith for that.

So it's basically what I expected. It's Engrish. Do you know how hard it is to get my students to get out of the habit of using Engrish or Chinglish(Chinese/English mix)?

I know my grammar isn't perfect and there are a lot of better teachers out there that don't use run on sentences like I do, but my strength is teaching through fun and games. It helps that I learned from a few great teachers on how to incorperate games with learning.

In any case this "lolspeak" is worse than Chinglish. With lolspeak it actively targets incorrect spelling and grammar. I know kids want to be different and rebel, but changing a whole language so that bad spelling and incorrect grammar is the "cool" way to communicate with each other can't be good. I still think that it would be ok if they just used it in their games or messages, but when it starts seeping into the tests and school assignments then those kids need a freaking tutor to remind them that there is a time and place for everything. Oh my god, I sound like my father

Still, I'm lucky in a way because my kids are still young. They're not playing MMOs or text messaging….yet….If I can give them a good foundation to build upon then it helps a lot when they are older.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat