View Single Post

September 7th, 2009, 17:37
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
- The combat system. PJ mentioned it as a "love" or "hate" system. I'm one of the people who can't stand it. It tries desperately to seem more complex than it really is, but ends up being annoying, as the complexity/challenge comes exclusively from the actual system, and not from the enemies.
Not sure what to say there, I didn't feel that way at all. I would probably have preferred fuller control over the melee combat (no "timed" swings) , but I had no problems with the way they did it, and the challenge for me definitely came from the enemies, not the system.

- The game progress. Baldur's Gate 1, released over 10 years ago, managed to have a fairly open world despite a good story. Might & Magic managed the same even earlier. I see no reason at all why games should ever choose the simple solution and constantly shut down the areas you've already visited.
It doesn't shut down previous areas, you can revisit anywhere until you progress to the next chapter. It doesn't have a sandbox style open world, but then I don't feel that every game should.

- The "class system". What class system? Sure, you can focus on slightly different areas, but all in all, you still have to be "jack of all trades", and combat always feels the same.
I don't understand your complaint there, they never advertised any type of "class system".

JDR13

SasqWatch