View Single Post

September 18th, 2009, 22:36
There's something about those Infinity Engine games… I want to call it a 'folksy charm', but that's not quite right.

It's the amazing painted backgrounds. The vastly overlooked ambient sounds that are still unmatched, in my opinion. The simultaneously intimate and epic musical scores. (I'm looking at you, Jeremy Soule.) The timeless voice-over characterizations.

Hell, it's the Forgotten Realms. I know a lot of people dislike the setting now, but there's a depth of background there that I just love. It's the Marvel Universe of fantasy settings, and it helped a lot in making the IE games what they were. I love a world that has characters as rich as, say, Jarlaxle or Artemis Entreri.

Bioware has long since stopped making games that resemble the kind I want to play. I've played KoToR and Mass Effect to completion; I think Bioware makes very good interactive action/adventure movies, but the trend from Baldur's Gate to KoToR to Mass Effect is moving directly away from what I'm personally hoping for….

Dragon Age will have great presentation. It will be big, and loud, and filled with many explosions. There will be some interactivity, even.

But I wonder if there will be any moments where it's just me and my party, in a quite run-down inn, with low light and soft sounds in the air… moments where I can truly fall into the game and lose myself on a rainy, cold night.

I don't have much hope. I hear this game is the new shit.

peace

Dyspaire

Watcher