View Single Post

September 22nd, 2009, 02:43
I just finshed my first full run through of the Goldbox FR PoR series (all four of them) and am burned out on Goldbox classics for a while.

For a change I am catching up on some adventure and action games.

Playing

- Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Just did the first part. Seems OK visually. So far nothing great. Definitely creepy.

- Lord of the Rings: Return of King

Frustrating since I'm no action game whiz. But now I'm starting to get the hang of it, and it isn't too hard. Nice visuals. Horrible checkpoint save system. I've had to replay sections too many times. Gimli sucks.

Biggest issue. My new Dell M64000 apparently has a defect where any modest 3d application (including the above) causes a black screen, stuttering, and machine freeze. Reboot button required. Apparently it's a common defect with other buyers. This is the latest of MANY issues I've had with this laptop and it has been way too much trouble than it's worth.

After hours of searching the web for answers, the solution is apparently to replace or reseat the video card with the heat sink/heat pump to properly thermally bound with some underlying power MOSFETs. Otherwise, the laptop MOSFETs that interface to the power adapter cause the damn thing to overheat even with fans forced to high.

So for now I just have to play with the power adapter unplugged. Gives me about an hour of play time at a time since it's such a power hog.

Never again another Dell.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor