View Single Post

September 22nd, 2009, 16:03
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Maybe you're right and it's as simple as that tacking on an extra layer (have no idea what that means btw ).
For a game like BG it is simple, for a game with a single character like Gothic it would be a nightmare (having to rebalance the whole shebang as combat dynamics change).

My point is that all you, in games where you play a party anyway, in principle only need to add code to put some of the characters under remote control by another player. No re-balancing or anything, just adding one feature to a system that already should be pretty modular in nature. I am not terribly up to date on how that is programmed, but arent there APIs for this?

Here is the thing, for me at least, out of all the Baldur's Gate game I only tried BG2 multiplayer and I hated it. I was always losing connection (maybe because I'm in Taiwan or not) and I was always losing the person I was playing with. I'd be halfway across the map and they'd still be at the beginning. We never even made it out of the dungeon before we said "forget this, let's play Diablo." BG2 and Coop play did not work well together at all.
Ok, I played it over LAN so I cant comment on internet play. Unstable connection is naturally a killer, but as a programming challenge it is a separate one from designing a good roleplaying game (ie an extra layer).

Like you said RPGs are in deed not always the best games as the roleplaying tends to leave one of the players waiting while the other is handling dialogue and whatnot. This is the strongest argument against story driven multiplayer RPGs.

That is exactly how I felt and I hated it. Take that same person and drop her in Diablo 2 and we had a blast. I was still faster, but in that game she caught on quick. Take that person again and drop her in NWN and once again it was ten times better than BG2.
Yep, this is a big issue and is impossible to work around. You pretty much need to be able to sit together for hours. Games in other genres (Football manager springs to mind) offer multiplayer in spite of this downtime issue though, so I think there still is a market for storydriven multiplayer games in spite of the "downtime".

I dont quite understand how NWN is much better for MP though. Jumping in with a character that is far away from the protagonist in level as gameplay would be extremely lopsided. In BG I could just give my gf control over a few of the existing party members and she would be contributing right away, provided (major caveat) she knows the ruleset and the interface. We actually had way more fun with Baldurs Gate as we found gameplay more tactical with control over more than one character each, and also found BGs primitive RTS interface better for controlling multiple characters (henchmen control in NWN1 is a joke and I've found party control in NWN2 pretty frustrating as well), but that is to some extent a matter of taste.

There are some games that are just meant to be played as a single player experience. What is so god awful about that? I'm not saying you think it's god awful, but TheNevers isn't the first person I've heard scream bloody murder over not having some silly MP feature. I really wish Bioware would of kept their trap shut about the technical side of it and just told everyone "Hey, we're making a single-player game. Suck it up!" Maybe that would of made people a little more forgiving.
Nothing is awful about that per se (and I dont think it will break DA so I'm not screaming bloody murder), but as I like to play coop with my girlfriend I want more games of the kind.

Zaleukos

Bum