View Single Post

September 29th, 2009, 20:07
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Marketing calls the shots everywhere. If marketing says "We don't know how to markt this", a product is dead before its development has started.
Well, it's all up to the company and it's management. The Dragon Age ad-campain smells of "production line assembly" where marketers just says: "OK, we'll take it from here". As I see it, the problem lies with an incompetent marketing division. On every major gaming sites where these Dragon Age ads pop up, there's an immidiate repulsive reaction against them. EA obviously sensed this and removed the Marilyn Manson music, but the campain was already implemented and the general message (sex & violence) couldn't be changed.

Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
They didn't take for granted the built-in audiance. In the beginning before this PR blitz, they gave me (the built in audience ) what I wanted to know and see "The gameplay". That was all I needed. A few months after they released the combat videos and some descriptions of the characters, they started the PR blitz for new gamers. Not sure if it's going to work or not. It was pretty lame how they kept trying to press the 'mature' and 'bloody' message. Not to mention 'sex'. I think they could of toned down just how hardcore they are.
That's sort what I'm getting at. What's wrong with just telling it as it is without wrapping it in all this "over-the-top" experience that it obviously isn't. More of you have been commenting that the ads misrepresents the game. It's certainly misleading for new gamers, but then again marketing is just make believe.
Last edited by hishadow; September 29th, 2009 at 20:20.

hishadow

Level N+1