View Single Post

October 4th, 2009, 09:21
Originally Posted by bemushroomed View Post
guenthar;

I'd say Wither is a much more simplified way of playing RPG's.. Its not even a real RPG since you dont really have a choice of what character you want to be, you're a Witcher, the devs has decided that, not you.

I prefer more advanced RPG's like TES and FO3, those gives me limitless opportunities to roleplay basicly any kind of character i want and to really customize it the way i want.
On the other hand, free-roaming RPG's like Diablo, TES and FO3 are necessarily and fundamentally much simpler in other ways. The quests are short, simple, and relatively mechanical, and most of the interest comes from exploring the map and developing your character mechanics, rather than advancing a story or developing you're character's character. Trying to combine good narrative with an open environment is really hard, and IMO only Fallout 1 has ever really succeeded in it.

In a free roaming RPG's the story is what you do in the game, your own adventures and explorations.
Which, since the "DM" is a computer, are necessarily simple, usually focused on "bring X to Y" or "kill Z" or other relatively mechanical tasks, even if they're sometimes dressed up in a bit of story.

I dont need a developer to hold my hand throughout the whole game, or to say "sorry in this game you're a Witcher, so you can't use that weapon or wear that armor". That's just not what role playing is for me. I've played my share of pen & paper RPG's too in my youth, fantastic experinces and the free roaming is much more similar to games like TES or FO3 than games like The Witcher which feels very limited to how the devs want it to be and play-out.
OTOH I've played — and led — pen and paper RPG's where the DM gives quite tight constraints to the player characters — sometimes just as tight as the ones in The Witcher. Hell, classic PnP D&D modules are as linear and constrained as they come, narratively speaking.

It's nice to have a basic story, but really, the adventures and explorations YOU make in RPG's are often far, far more interesting and satisfying, because those kind of things are totally unique! If i play e.g a Bioware game or The Withcher game i'll have basicly 90% the same adventure as anyone else, that's boring. It's almost like reading a book :/ That's not RP.
Except that many BioWare games, and The Witcher, have branching stories. That means that you won't have 90% the same adventure as everyone else, with one play-through. It'll be maybe 40% the same. This is maybe a bit more than one play-through of Morrowind, but even in that, the main questline — which has had most attention lavished on it — will be the same as everyone else's.

What's more, in the games you listed, the main questline is usually perfectly linear — much more so than in the games you don't like because you feel they railroad you into doing stuff. In them, the non-linearity just means doing the same things in a different order, or stepping out of the main questline for a while to do sidequests, before coming back to it.

IOW, all of your messages on this thread boil down to a real simple statement:

"I prefer free-roaming games, and don't like complex narratives in games."

That's totally OK, but it *is* entirely a matter of personal opinion. From that to calling games that have more complex narratives and less exploration "action-adventures" or "not RPG's" is a quite a leap. What's more, you're very lucky in that there are far more free-roaming games with simple, mechanical quests and no narrative out there than there are narrative-heavy, more constrained games.

So I'll finish up by asking you the same question I usually ask in threads like this: why do you care? The Witcher, Alpha Protocol, and Venetica are almost certainly not your kind of games. On the other hand, Risen, Dragon Age, and Diablo 3 probably are. So why are you even on this thread?

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO