Thread: Suggest a Skill
View Single Post

October 5th, 2009, 04:46
On language: You can use a few custom-designed writing systems to represent languages in game. I've made three for my own project, with two more partially completed (I got bored). If a character has skill in that language, then they can translate it to the text box/log book/journal/whatever. I'm assuming, of course, that your going for full 3D etc… You could also just have overlaid text like in Might and Magic II-V, except that it changes from standard English writing to whatever if the appropriate skill isn't there.

Skills: There are some skills, IMO, that shouldn't be developed slowly. Cartography is pretty much useless in Eschalon; I used a spell which boosted it instead. The only issue was that the minimap would overwrite more advanced portions of a map afterwards with poorer detailed portions if you didn't keep it active constantly.

Swimming, no one should be getting in the water without having sufficient swimming skill. So you either have it, or you don't. Don't, your taking drowning damage.

This is basically what I'm doing; dividing skills into two sections. Those which advance in ability, like combat skills. And those which are presumed to be of sufficient skill to simply use, like Swimming. Basically, combining the older Might and Magic III-V skill system with Wiz8/ADOM etc…

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck