View Single Post

November 2nd, 2009, 17:06
Frozen River

I never liked dramas. Not at all. But now… I've changed my mind.

This movie is about life, about family, about friendship, about beautiful nature, about laws, about money, about sacrifices. It's actually about being a human.
What would you do if your life got on the bottom? You lost the money, your marriage is falling apart, you have no friends and you have noone to talk to - and kids don't understand a thing. You don't know what you'll do the next day. To cry? To commit a suicide? Why would you do that? This movie shows what happens when it seems that the only solution left is to break a law.

Now this is a drama as I've said before. But this movie reminds me on Pan's labyrinth. You'll say that I'm crazy saying this because Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy movie, but no. Everything here happens in a spectacular countryside which looks like it's made only for romance movies just like Pan's labyrinth. But in both movies, there is no romance. There is no man+woman (or 2 men, or 2 women) love at all. There is a mother's love, there is a brothers' (sisters') love, there is a friend's love, but no classical love. And in both movies there is no sex.

You'll say for god's sake how is that possible in a drama! Yea, I said that too, but this is no Hollywood sexsellswhattacrapIshouldhaveskippedthis movie. Believe me the story functions and it's so realistic that you actually live that life on the screen with actors.

Perhaps only a poor performance from the younger son and obvious shooting of different scenes in the same day (and time) that in the movie actually happen with a days difference is the reason I won't give this a 10/10 but it's a strong 9 from me.
This movie is a near masterpiece.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor