View Single Post

January 7th, 2010, 15:58
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
But maybe the reason that games are so seldom replayed is that it makes so little difference? Ussually as you said wolfing all you might get is a different ending.. which you could watch on youtube. But a game like deus ex acctually makes quite some difference depending on what you do.

But what if a lot of events / story parts / battles / characters etc was different? in that case maybe the replay would be much more interesting ?
That approach will force you to choose an audience. As a complete-ist, I get very irate over games that force me into a complete replay in order to experience all the content. A side quest here or there is one thing, but exclusive branches in the main quest are hard to pull off. I think M&M7 might be the only game I've played that pulled it off and that was simply because the game was good enough that I was willing to replay it, which as I mentioned is very rare.

So you choose between depth/replay and satisfying a portion of your audience. Not saying either choice is "right", but you should be aware you're making it.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer