View Single Post

January 24th, 2010, 04:56
Login as in being online or just have the program running? Either way, that's not exactly correct. At least it's not for Fallout 3. For GTA 4 you have to have the program running, but you don't have to be online. I don't know about the others.

For Fallout 3 I have to disable GFWL to enable FOSE (Fallout Script Extender). It's incompatable with Live. The reason it's incompatible is because Live functions as an anti-cheat program that does not work well with mods that mess around with the exe. GFWL is not a friendly program to use with any of Beth's games which can be modded heavily. Here is what the description says concerning GFWL for the FOSE mod:
* FOSE is currently incompatible with Windows Live, so when running via fose_loader.exe, Live will be disabled. Live functions as an anti-cheat mechanism, so it disables itself if it detects any in-memory modifications to the executable, despite the fact that Fallout has no multiplayer component. Since Live cannot tell the difference between the modifications we make and the modifications a cheating program would make, we will probably never be directly compatible. To download DLC and updates, simply launch Fallout normally. Live stores DLC and save files in a separate folder when active, so some things may need to be moved around - see the official Fallout forums for more information.
That program disables GFWL and you can play the game just fine without it.

I don't have a program that disables GFWL with GTA 4, but at least I don't have to be online to save my game. I guess you're technically still logged in since the program is running, but I'm always in offline mode which doesn't need any connection to the internet to run it. I tested that when my connection was down and I could still play the game.

As for getting rid of the install limits (sorta), I'm wondering why they even tried to get away with this. They had to of known all that junk would cause a nerdrage storm of epic proportions. Are they testing the waters to see how much DRM the public is willing to put up with?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat