View Single Post

February 24th, 2010, 17:04
Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
Judging by the constant bickering here at the Watch about whether new game X really is a RPG or not and by how those that are deemed true RPG's are excused for containing even blatant flaws and those that are not deemed true RPG's are being bitch-slapped from top to bottom for even minor details, I can certainly understand why developers would want to shy away from the RPG label.

Sorry, but lately it has struck me how "elitist" (the word is a bit harsh but unfortunately also fitting) the tone here at the Watch has become. If a game meets certain standards (looks like it is from the early 90'ies, plays like it is from the early 90'ies, have been developed by an indie firm or has been made with a tiny budget) it is automatically praised for upholding the "True" RPG spirit no matter how flawed the game may be. Likewise if the game has a been made with a big budget or looks and feels like a game of today it is automatically criticized for no being a proper RPG, again no matter how great the game may be. (e.g. DA:O winner of the most disappointing game of the year here at the Watch)

If being a proper RPG means that a list of requirements must be fulfilled to be able to don that label then I say good riddance. I would much rather play a game that was created based on the concepts and ideas the developers wanted you to play than a game made to fit a predefined mold whether or not it was actually the original concept of the game.
It's hardly fair to simply position yourself as a populist and simply dismiss others here as elitist (and I am sure I am one of those of which you are labeling as such). I lot of these "elitist" arguments are simply discussions about gaming trends.

That being said, it is fair that many of us (elitist or otherwise) get a certain itch scratched from a true rpg game that is not satisfied by games of other genres. I play all sorts of games and enjoy them regardless of genre or classification. My most enjoyable play experiences this year other than Risen or DA, were probably Uncharted 2 and Bioshock 2. Just spent better part of week getting completely wrapped up in Bioshock 2. Loved it. I knew I wasn't playing an rpg, but never really thought about it or cared that much. But you know what, it wasn't marketing itself as an rpg.

However, when I want to play an rpg, I want to play an rpg and that scratches that itch. All's I want is to be able to play those games and have them still be available in the marketplace rather than have rpgs some vague concept and all "rpg" games watered down. That may be a fool's hope and not part of the mainstream gaming future, but it's hardly elitist. If you loved FPS shooters and they stopped making these games in mainstream gaming (huge hypothetical I know), wouldn't it be possible that you could miss that type of gameplay even if you play and enjoy every other genre.

It's fine if you don't care about traditional rpg characteristics or that certain aspects of that genre are dissappearing from mainstream gaming without any acknowledgment of the fact, but its not elitist for those of us who do and who are not bashing other games or dismissing other types of gamers or gaming.

dagoo7

Watchdog