View Single Post

February 24th, 2010, 16:24
Rampant Coyote makes cool mini-articles.

IIRC the RPG label has always been bad for publicity where the general public is concerned. Same as Sci-Fi. It's pretty cool that Mass Effect used both and was successful, even if one of them was more of a stretch. I'd also like the genre to expand rather than stick to a narrow definition, and for that reason I'd prefer it if there were more labels to make it easier to actually "call it like it is."

It's the "redefinition of the RPG genre" or "RPGs were too complicated" talk I can really do without. I blame marketing. I certainly don't want every game to be an undefinable genre mix.

Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
Likewise if the game has a been made with a big budget or looks and feels like a game of today it is automatically criticized for no being a proper RPG, again no matter how great the game may be.
That's essentially it. We are relatively passionate about the "RPG genre" and are often talking about it to the exclusion of all else that could matter. One always has to keep this in mind. A game can be absolutely great and gorgeous and most importantly fun but if it is marketed as something it is not, or if it raised false or different expectations by virtue of being a "sequel" to a well-known and loved game or series, or even simply by getting an RPG label (which as we know by now can mean a whole lot of different things), some sort of criticism is only natural.

I see these as two separate issues: Firstly, is a game good or not? And secondly, does it meet my criteria for a good RPG? People here often only talk about the second and sometimes they sound like they are talking about the first issue but are actually basing their arguments on the second. Vice versa for some others. All in all, I'd say there are a lot more criteria that play a part in how a game is perceived.

1. Good game / bad game?
2. Good as an RPG / bad as an RPG?
3. How much hype was there? Overhype?
4. What was a game advertised as?
5. What were my expectations for a game? Were they met?
6. How passionate am I about my preferences?

Pretty much all of those are very subjective. No. 2 should be the most important if all you want from a game is fun or escapism, but the bigger a game gets, the more all the other questions tend to get asked, and the bigger the audience gets, the more little details tend to get examined under a microscope. Passion is also a very important point gamers with a more casual interest in a specific genre would probably not care about its intricasies too much and simply enjoy a game for what it is. I usually do, too (I enjoy good games), but I can also see the "RPG issue" (I don't like it when games are called RPGs just for the sake of it.)

Coyote linked to a blog piece called The Lonliest Genre, which is an interesting read, including comments. Its main focus is Final Fantasy XIII, but all of this kinda shows how the current (new? ongoing?) evolution/de-evolution/stagnation of the western-style and J- RPG genre is, perhaps ironically, a complex issue. And it is fairly widespread.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; February 24th, 2010 at 22:02. Reason: grammar

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team