View Single Post

February 25th, 2010, 16:24
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
That's a personal choice, though, and maybe it's just because I don't see the fascination with establishing some kind of objective truth when buying things that are essentially luxuries.
Exactly … while it can be argued that having a computer is now a necessity for any professional person / student, portable computers have always been a luxury item, and specialized laptops such as gaming systems and netbooks are even worse values.

Since an average (non-netbook) laptop sells for ~$400 based on 2009 data, a netbook that sells for about the same price is a terrible value. But since they offer different functionality that appeals to many, it is a compromise choice. Sort of like the m11x. I could get a better desktop or a solid full-size laptop for the same money, but based on my usage I know I will recoup my investment quickly.

For folks who have been primarily desktop gamers, the use case for laptops seems a bit weird, but as I say I've been mostly laptop for more than 2 decades, and have relied on portable electronics like PDA's for even longer. So I tend to think in laptop terms, and habve really adapted my life to always having a portable system with me.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch