View Single Post

February 28th, 2010, 22:45
Originally Posted by curious View Post
while the story isn't great, hard to live up to the first,
The first wasn't that good. Good, yes, but not worth the praise the game journos heaped on it. The backstory and setting remain, while BioShock 1's actual plot was probably its weakest point, you would think it's not that difficult to work with that, simply make a better plot and insert it into the already great backstory/setting. BioShock 2 opting for a weak derivative plot while harming the backstory/setting is probably the worst choice you could make.

considering some of the lead designers are female, while most gamers not, its not suprising it gets lambasted.
I don't see what that has to do with anything, there are other games written by women and I have no problem with any of them. It seems a bit odd to assume women can't write for men.

also for those thinking the backstory which was there wasn't enough, you really should have checked out the flash site something in the sea before hand or even now.
I followed the PR while newsposting it, as is also my job at GameBanshee. PR is irrelevant to reviewing a game, since it's not a part of the game.

bottom line though is bioshock had a typical hero/revenge bad guy(s) theme that most game players eat up. the 'good' ending in bioshock 2 had themes of mercy and altruism—sadly not traits vauled by most people let alone game players, especially shooters…so conscious or not that has to impact mosts view or feelings towards the game because in the end it added better level design, weapons, splicers all the while somehow being a shorter and less intense (horror, awe, wonder) than the first.
Sorry but you're jumping too much from one thought to the next. It's like reading BioShock 2 all over again. You lost me.

Brother None

SasqWatch