View Single Post

March 13th, 2010, 10:59
You're killin' me, GG.

The good news is that I'm getting more and more convinced that gamers don't really know what they want anymore. And that includes me. We want replayability, but we never replay. We want non-linear plots as long as there aren't any branches. We want choice-n-consequence as long as it doesn't keep us from doing what we want. We want 100+ hour epics as long as they don't take too long. We want interesting NPCs but we don't want to read NPC dialog. We want a free form sandbox but it has to have structured quests. We want extensive evil options, but our first (and generally only) playthru will be good.

So, in the end, build your game as you see fit. If it's a good game, I doubt too many people will get hung up if it doesn't match exactly what we say we want.
really like the feedback, I get from you guys, this post was pure brilliance. Basically I think what everyone does when they make games is brainstorming a lot, and after that they add the best stuffs. That's what Larian did, that's what Lionhead did that's what Ultima guys did.

I don't really think there is another way to make a new and somewhat unique game… otherwise you'll just copy what other people already got.

I think DTE hit it spot on. Acctually I think that as long as the game is really good the gamers will not care whatever it is linar, open, closed, three-headed or whatever else They'll play it because it is fun.

If you have any fun ideas for time based events just spill them out, and I'll see what I can do GhanBuriGhan is the one to come up with something constructive so far!

Have you created a timing system (day/night, hours/minutes weeks/months/years?) in your gameworld? If not, your question is premature.
Of course it is in the core of this game that time passes. At the night fighting it'll be real dark, but the option to summon really cool looking flares are already there

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch