View Single Post

March 14th, 2010, 10:56
Since Sammy's listening to some of my favorite music I feel like I have to say something. I just don't know what…

FotN is kind of "special". Their earlier work is more… basic, compared to Elizium (IE all songs are sort of like this verision of Sumerland, with less production value), but since I started with that work Elizium felt more like a natural development than different music. I guess it's easier to sell their atmospheric late work if you start out with the more basic early work I guess. Though the biggest difference between Elizium and The Nephilim is that The Nephilim is more lo-fi. Not close to as many synths and production that sounds slightly muffled. Though I feel the lo-fi is so well done that instead of ruining the experience it heightens it, since it fits the atmosphere. It gives it a kind of old, eternal feel that adds credibility (or what to call it) to a band striving for sounding like their sounding about aichent evil. Hopefully you'll get used to it, it's one of my favorite albums of all time (with the two song finale of the record being the biggest highlight).

I can't say much about Mourning Sun (I might have listened to half of it once) apart from only the singer being left from Elizium and it being released 12 years later, so it's no big suprize it sounds different. To me, it's hardly even Fields of the Nephilim. Because Fields of the Nephilim broke up after the Elizium tour.

Listening to Elizium, by the way! Like I said, far more costly production is the biggest difference to The Nephilim, though the songs are more atmospheric too.

Übereil

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

The Chaos Cascade

Ubereil

Keeper of the Watch