View Single Post

March 25th, 2010, 17:54
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
DTE I already said that Obama hasn't lived up to his campaign promise of ending the wars. So what is hypocritical about that?

Did Obama start 2 wars while dropping taxes? No. Did Bush? Yes. Was Obama saddled with 2 wars from Bush that were hard to stop. Yes, apparently.
OK, last time. Seriously, last time.

Here's part of your article that you quoted. I did a cut-n-paste, but you're more than welcome to confirm it if you think I'm trying to lie, cheat and steal.
========
The toxic clouds that are the inevitable result of the fear and the bitter conflicts so relentlessly stoked by the Republican Party — think blacks against whites, gays versus straights, and a whole range of folks against immigrants — tend to obscure the tremendous damage that the party’s policies have inflicted on the country. If people are arguing over immigrants or abortion or whether gays should be allowed to marry, they’re not calling the G.O.P. to account for (to take just one example) the horribly destructive policy of cutting taxes while the nation was fighting two wars.
========
Your author is saying we require a toxic environment to cover up poor policy. Fine. I'm not even going to argue right-n-wrong about the policy itself. This is merely about consistency. The example of poor policy that must be covered up is "the horribly destructive policy of cutting taxes while the nation was fighting two wars." Did Barack drive thru a middle class tax cut as promised during his campaign? Documented with Barack's own website. Check. Is the nation currently involved in two wars? Not documented, but agreed by your own words (see your quote above). Check. Now, nice and slow… Is it still "horribly destructive policy" or not? A simple yes or no is all that's needed.

Why is this relevant? Because if it's horribly destructive policy that requires a toxic environment to cover up, then Barack must manufacture the same toxic environment himself. So, once again, nice and slow… If you say that it's not destructive policy, then you can't use it as evidence of a necessary GOP toxic smokescreen. The author's BS argument falls apart. If you say it IS destructive policy, then Barack is similarly guilty and HE must manufacture that same toxic smokescreen, which means you can't indict only the GOP. The author's BS argument falls apart.

Either way, your article damning strictly repubs for being ogres is pretty well debunked.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer