View Single Post

April 6th, 2010, 18:53
Originally Posted by Ubereil View Post
But that's not quite true. In between Faith and Disintegration (which is a large chunk of their career) they had a more primitive, straight forward sound.
This is the part I didn't agree with. You look at Japanese Whispers and The Top and Charlotte Sometimes, and I just don't see where you get "primitive" or "straight forward". You've got electropop like "The Walk", you've got jazz shuffle with "Lovecats", you've got that primitive straight forward stuff with "Let's Go to Bed", you've got frenetic chaos with "Give Me It", you've got something close to twee with "Caterpillar Girl", you've got dense rockers like "Shake Dog Shake", you've got haunting layers with Charlotte.

To my mind, that period (well, technically, I'm cutting it off at Head on the Door, rather than Disintegration) was Fat Bob's first experimental phase, where he tried lots of different styles before settling in on his next "sound". He did the same sort of thing when he put out Wild Mood Swings. Unfortunately, where WMS is concerned, both the experiment itself and the resulting "sound" were rather disappointing.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer